If you've rebuilt a T5... please respond

jeffdg

Feb 16, 2003
Athens, OH
I've just reassembled my WC T5 for my 92 LX 5.0 with many new parts. Unfortunately, it won't shift into 3rd or 4rth. (no, it's not in the car, but it is together at the moment, just for the moment...). Among other things, I put in a new 3-4 slider/synchro assembly. If I put the old slider back on the mainshaft, it'll shift fine, but not with the new slider... does anyone know an obvious reason for this? (both were installed the same way and are visually almost identical...the only difference i noticed was inside the slider where the synchro keys rub, the indentations on the slider is different between the two assemblies.)

Defective part?
incorrect installation? (unlikely, as the old and new parts were installed identically)
Breakin procedure?

The other 4 gears (1-2-5-R) shift *very* smoothly, i'm very pleased.

help?

• Sponsors (?)

TheFleshRocket said:
I don't have an answer to your question, but I am thinking about rebuilding my T5 myself. Roughly how many hours have you spent on the rebuild process?

Well, lots of hours. Personally, I think have 20+ hours into it, but my situation is special... I had never rebuilt a tranny before, or even know how one really worked for that matter. Also, mine wasn't a traditional rebuild... it was rebuilt 5k mi ago but then this past September (yes... and this is Jan) I broke some teeth off of 3rd gear (so I had to at least replace 3rd gear and the countershaft, which runs just under 200 for the two). I had to get some tools (snap ring pliers, dial gauges and in my case: a right-angle die grinder which can be handy to touch up your clutching teeth on your gears.)

I bought the Hanlon Motorsports video, which is *essential* to have. Buy the video first and then decide, it's about $20 shipped from Hanlon (www.hanlonmotorsports.com).

would I do it again? Perhaps, probably, the $300 I spent is way cheaper than a new tranny and by replacing and reconditioning everything as well as being hyper-meticulous about tolerances, shims etc... it should work about as good as new. Plus it was a great learning experience. For instance when I tear into it to get at the 3-4 slider it shouldn't take more than a couple hours for the whole thing, which isn't much if you consider what I actually have to do to get in there.

here maybe this might help you
t5-wc-lg.gif

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/HanlonTIC.html

Attachments

• t5-wc-lg.gif
    t5-wc-lg.gif
    119.7 KB · Views: 87
In the 3-4 synchro assembly sleeve there are 3 keys resting on top of the syncro hub, if you dont get those 3 keys in the notches made into the syncro sleeve, you will have a difficult time shifting it into eithier of the gears. Check that to make sure they are in align let me know how it goes

thanks

tonah_16 said:
In the 3-4 synchro assembly sleeve there are 3 keys resting on top of the syncro hub, if you dont get those 3 keys in the notches made into the syncro sleeve, you will have a difficult time shifting it into eithier of the gears. Check that to make sure they are in align let me know how it goes

Thanks, I ended up getting a new assembly from the mfr, and this one worked great. However... well, problems persist, read my new post on it, I'm kind of stumped because everything works with the top off, I never messed with the shift forks mounted to the top, I can shift into each gear but the input shaft locks up (only w/top *on*)... but again, go to the new post for this...

Thanks again,

jeffdg said:
I've just reassembled my WC T5 for my 92 LX 5.0 with many new parts. Unfortunately, it won't shift into 3rd or 4rth. (no, it's not in the car, but it is together at the moment, just for the moment...). Among other things, I put in a new 3-4 slider/synchro assembly. If I put the old slider back on the mainshaft, it'll shift fine, but not with the new slider... does anyone know an obvious reason for this? (both were installed the same way and are visually almost identical...the only difference i noticed was inside the slider where the synchro keys rub, the indentations on the slider is different between the two assemblies.)

Defective part?
incorrect installation? (unlikely, as the old and new parts were installed identically)
Breakin procedure?

The other 4 gears (1-2-5-R) shift *very* smoothly, i'm very pleased.

help?

This should be easy to figure out, especially with the trans out. First, make sure the shifter, forks and fork pads are installed correctly and in good shape. Make sure the lever can move the rails and forks.

If that is not the problem, pull the shifter and top cover and try moving the shift collar by hand. You should see what is sticking while doing this. As someone else noted, you have to get the three shift fingers in the synchro assembly installed correctly. This sounds like your most likely problem.

Make sure you have the endplay set correctly, although that should not directly cause your problem.

I have only done one of these, on a Jeep T5, but it seemed simple and worked fine when I was done. My kid left little pieces of 3-4 synchronizer all over the bottom of the case, asked Dad why it made noise when she shifted, and left for school the next day...