im new in the mustang game!

ralph87

Oct 17, 2010
hey how are you guys doing i just picked up a 96 convertible gt and plan to hook it up but im a little confused about the whole pi engine but i know i do have the npi engine so i would appreciate any info on what i need to upgrade my npi to pi..

• Sponsors (?)

hey how are you guys doing i just picked up a 96 convertible gt and plan to hook it up but im a little confused about the whole pi engine but i know i do have the npi engine so i would appreciate any info on what i need to upgrade my npi to pi..

first, welcome to the forums ralph87! like you, i too am new! but moving on to your question.

npi engines come factory in 1996-1998 mustang gts. it stands for non-performance improved. it mostly deals with the head, cam, and intake manifold ford gave them back in '96. pi stands for performance improved, where ford gave those gts a better h/c/i combo. pi is '99-04. if you're looking seriously to do a pi swap, don't. the actual heads from an npi are fine from the factory, it's the cam and intake restricting npi cars the most. so if you're looking for a bump in power, just switch to a pi cam/intake and call it a day. not a bad idea either, considering the intakes were prone to crack and leak back then.

if this hasn't answered your questions or you think of anymore, let me know and i'll be glad to help. :)