I'm ready to clean my engine

• Sponsors (?)

There are already a couple threads about this. Ive only cleaned my engine once, but I covered up spots that looked like water could get stuck in them. I just used tin foil and wrapped up some of the wires. Id cover up the spark plugs. You dont need to worry about the battery and I didnt cover up the alt. but you might wanna cover it up just to be save. I wouldnt spray it with high pressure water, just give it a low pressure "shower." Also make sure you dry it really well, with a leaf blower or something. Then when your done turn the car on and leave it on for a couple seconds to make sure everything is alright. Id only wash your engine if your washing the rest of your car. Wash the engine first then rims/tires and wheel wells, then do the rest of your car. :nice:

I'm in the same boat. I've been "spot cleaning" my engine up until now, which works but takes awhile and isn't entirely satisfying/effective.

The owner's manual recommends you clean it, and even tells you what to cover. But I know people here have had problems... What to do?

I'm beginning to think the keys are
1) cover up the things you'd think you should cover (and if in doubt, cover it)
2) use gentle water pressure
3) don't start it up right away afterward to give all the nooks and cranies time to dry out completely.

So I'm with 03gtmustang on this one. :nice:

I don't necessarily agree I could be wrong but never had problems doing so. Go to the self car wash (where you drive in and insert the quarters) and LEAVE THE CAR RUNNING. There should be an engine wash icon for the sprayer. While the car is running lightly spray the engine wash on the engine. Then go over and switch the knob to rinse. Stay a couple of feet back and spray the engine cleaner off but remeber keep your car running. After your done drive around for a few minutes and you should be fine. I clean mine once a month and the car runs excellant.

I let the engine cool off for a couple hours if i have been driving it. Then I use some walmart bags to cover the parts the manual says. Then i have some degreaser i got from the car store and spray it on. I let it seit for a minute or two then use the garden hose with the low pressure shower option. Then I let it sit a few minutes, 5 or 10, then I crank it up and let it run for another 10 minutes or so. Then I drive it down to the highway and back and by the time i get back its nice and dry and neat.

Let the engine cool, then spray it, then dry it off the best you can with a leaf blower, then turn it on for a couple seconds drive it around if you want, then finish washing the rest of your car. People just do stupid stuff and thats why it gets messed up.

I ususally go to the carwash on the first drive in the morning. It's about 4 blocks from my house so the engine doesn't get hot. Then I soak the entire engine bay with Simple Green or the Orange Citrus spray. Let it sit for a few minutes, then spray it off. Then I immediately drive back to the house and dry off the engine with a leaf blower. the blower gets all the water out of the cracks and crevaces and leaves everything bone dry. Then I go back and wash the rest of the car.

You guys realize that the only thing hurting the whole process will be driving it? I can't stress this enough, the water doesn't hurt electrical components that have no electric charge. Starting a wet electronics will kill them. Let it dry THEN start it to get it out of the cracks/crevices. I leave my hood open in the sun light to get the electrics (top of motor) dry then run the car to get the rest of it "burned off".