I'm (semi-) Happy

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
I got up this a.m. and checked the progress on two orders I have outstanding.
The first is a 40# pressurized media blaster from Harbor Freight, and after one week, it is now actually in transit from CA!:banana:

The second is my tyres from TireSavings.com....my BFG 225/60R14 Radial T/As are still on backorder.:rolleyes:

Hopefully, by the time the media blaster gets here (next Friday?), and I finish stripping, prepping and POR15-ing "sally's" undercarraige, the tyres will also be enroute!:shrug:

Then it will just be a matter of bolting everything up............:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I have one of the Harbor Freight blasters and absolutley love it. The only problem I had was when I first hooked it up to my compressor, it blew the bottom right out of the filter/water trap thingie. I removed it and hooked it up to my wall-mounted regulator/water trap that I use for my paint gun, set it at 60 lbs and it works fine. I also went through the first 20lbs of glass beads in about 10 minutes (maybe less) before I found the whole thing works much better if I set the ball valve on the bottom of the tank at about 45 degrees and did the same with the nozzle valve. I also blast small parts in a large box (the same box the blaster came in) and try to filter the media through a small screen and re-use it.

zoo - thanx for the tips! I have been using a cheapo ($15) siphon type blaster, but the media flow is just too sporadic, I'm hoping with the pressure type that I'll be able to zip thru the undercarraige in a few hours.....:nice:
I've been doing the same thing with the sand I've been using.....except I laid out a tarp to catch most of it, then I re-sift and toss the crud into the trash.

MustangGurl2695 said:
Awesome BBFCM, guess I'll have to stop chucking rocks at the gutter door so you can concentrate on Sally. I'll admit the work is much more fun then chasing a pesky fox like me away from the door.
Sweetie, as foxy as you may be, you're still w-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y too young for me to chase.:nono:
chepsk8 said:
Now, the image of a big, blue closetmonter doing the happy dance is indeed a bit unique.......
That "earthquake" you thought you felt this morning................:D

Been thinking, if I ever do another project of this magnitude (I'm kinda tossing around either a '65 / '66 FB, or a "Rat" rod....:shrug: ), I'm definately building a rotisserie first!

65stanger said:
Sweetie, as foxy as you may be, you're still w-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-y too young for me to chase...
Wrong use of the word fox. I meant it litterally, that I am indeed a fox. Ask ol' Chepsk8. He'll tell you I am a Kitsune, and act like one too. Heh... I growl... and get in trouble for it... :nonono:

I've was dragged into the local Harbour Freight store in Tacoma by tylers65 and bought a timing light. Then I went back to get a transmission jack and engine stand. Have not had any problems with any of the items. Maybe it's time to go back and get a pressure blaster for myself!

Is the blaster you are getting suitable to strip the entire car? I've thought about sending my car off to be done, but it costs about $800-$1000. If I could get the equipment and do it myself for less, or even the same - I would be interested :)

Jeff

I've used my HF blaster on mostly small parts, but I think it'd be fine for doing larger stuff like floor pans, engine bays or whatever. I found that by using the second to smallest nozzle (it comes with about 5 sizes) and holding the nozzle about 4-5 inches from the workpiece it takes paint/rust/goobers/kooties off quickly and with no damage to even delicate stuff. I wear a paint respirator for the dust and do my blasting outside with plenty of ventilation.

Got all that covered............car is on jackstands on the gravel driveway, all I've got to do is spread my small tarp for medium re-collection, don my PPE and blast away.

Cool thing about using sand here....once I'm done with it, I can give it a final sift, spread it out on the driveway and let Mother Nature do the rest............