I'm (semi-) Happy

65stanger said:
Cool thing about using sand here....once I'm done with it, I can give it a final sift, spread it out on the driveway and let Mother Nature do the rest............

Don't let my son see you doing that. He's an enviromental inspector for the county and they have actually written up some homeowners who have let stuff get into the ground and storm drains.

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of hazardous waste could be generated from media blasting the underside of a car? The sand is non-hazardous, and the instructor at a haz-mat class I took for work a few months back claimed that any dried materials like paint ( and I assume rust) are non-hazardous and could be disposed of in the trash with regular stuff. I do agree that irresponsible dumping of ANY hazardous stuff that can poison water is never acceptable, but I'd be interested to know if I'm doing something wrong without even knowing.

When I dump the "used" sand in my driveway, it's almost as clean as the day I bought it, because I sift out the larger particles.
>90% of the old undercoating has already been scraped off, so that's not a problem and as far as hazardous chemicals, I've always disposed of them properly at our local reclamation center.
Besides the fact, none of the chemicals I've been using is anymore harmful than the $h|t the farmers had been using for decades (fertilizers and/or pesticides, etc., etc) around here, where the ground water now has nitrate levels so high it is unfit for consumption and they've had to pipe in "town" water!:nonono:

Sounds as bad as the Town Code Enforcement butthead who was going to write me up 4 years ago for having the 'stang in my sister's driveway w/o plates......meantime, he had to trespass onto her property to even SEE the car...........................:nonono:

What kind of media is safest for the sheetmetal? I need something that will strip the skim-coat of bondo that is on my car and not warp the metal too badly.

Since this is already a partial hijack - :) Where can I get an appropriate epoxy primer here in FL? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

I always thought that having paint dry, then placing in the trash was okay, but have found out that even dried paint is not good for the regular dump. There was a hazardous waste dump nearby that was so bad, that it corroded and ruined some stucco walls on some commercial buildings near it. They have since closed the dump, and supposedly cleaned it up, and are now grading that property for who knows what!

stangonline said:
What kind of media is safest for the sheetmetal? I need something that will strip the skim-coat of bondo that is on my car and not warp the metal too badly.

Since this is already a partial hijack - :) Where can I get an appropriate epoxy primer here in FL? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!
Since we've already hikacked this thread and are headed for parts unknown, here's my version of an answer to your question. If you need to remove filler, I'd suggest a method other than blasting. It can be done with a small home blaster, but would be much quicker (and I mean MUCH quicker) and safer (for the car) to use a 3M bristle disc and a body grinder. I used the green discs to strip much of my car with no warping and no damage to the sheetmetal at all. You can get them at pretty much any auto paint store for about $20 each. It took 4 to get my car done, and it only took about 4 hours or so. Use a respirator because they really put the dust in the air!
As for the primer, all paint manufacturers make epoxy primers. If you have an idea of which brand of paint you'll be using, try to stick with the same brand, from primer to clear. Having said that, I used House of Kolor's epoxy primer on my car and aside from the goofy green color, I love it. It's high build, sands easily and supposed to be very rust resistant. I have also used Omni's epoxy and it seems like a good primer as well. I ordered most of my House of Kolor stuff from www.autobodydepot.com and was really happy with their quick delivery and low prices. Also, here's one last testimony for House of Kolor's stuff: a while back I was measuring for gas lines under the hood of my car. As I stood up, I lost my grip on my tape measure (a big 27-footer) and dropped it right on top of the fender of my car. Once my heart started beating, I checked for damage. There was none. Not one scratch, dimple or scuff in the paint. I swear I dropped it from about a foot, and it sounded hard enough to dent the fender, but I found nothing.

WOO HOO HOO!

It's HERE! My new sandblaster finally arrived at 12:35 p.m. DST, it took me another three hours to assemble and I just fired off a test run.:banana:
What a difference over the POS siphon-type I've been using! Tomorrow a.m., after a little playing and practice to get the feel of it, it'll be undercarraige stripping time!:banana::spot::banana::spot::banana:
I'd be doing it tonight but Ive got a QA/QI meeting for the Rescue Squad in about an hour!:(

Now if my tires will just show up...................................

Realmongo said:
I've was dragged into the local Harbour Freight store in Tacoma by tylers65 and bought a timing light. Then I went back to get a transmission jack and engine stand. Have not had any problems with any of the items. Maybe it's time to go back and get a pressure blaster for myself!

I've had the Trans jack and trans collapse as I was wrangling the trans into my old 89 ranger (almost broke my arm).

The couple sandblasters that I went through kept blowing out the top seal.. so I bought the huge one from Eastwood prior to them discontinuing the sale of the units (it's work great for years). The Harbor Frieght engine stands (i have the heavy duty one for my 351, and smaller one for the 289 & 4 banger in the truck) work great especially if you grease the pivot points well, otherwise the engines won't rotate very well.

What top seal are you talking about? Mine has an O-ring on the filler lid, but I don't see how that could leak if it's even close to being tight. I do agree you need to be careful on some things, and you do get what you pay for, but I've been more than happy with the stuff I've bought from HF.