import wants to race

chrisbudl1

Dec 21, 2003
springfield MO
I just got my 97 cobra a month and a half ago, and really haven't raced anyone. Ok maybe a new 350z from 25 to 80 the other day, I never saw him after we got on it. I have some restoring to do on my cobra before I start adding big power to it. :bang: oh well it is still stock after 7 years with 97000 miles on it. so this new guy at work comes in and wants to race. KIDS!! I told him to let me put some new tires on it first. I don't think it is just me but sideways through first gear isn't too comfortable. maybe cool if expected but not if surprised by it. I know his talon is supposed to run mid 13's, and he has a stage2 or 3 turbo, and nos. he promised not to spray though. Should I race him and maybe lose, or just laugh at the amount of money he payed to keep up with stock cobras :rlaugh: I would imagine with traction these cars take off very good. I always just roast the tires. Should I sneak in something on him, like gears?? Hum Gears traction????? OH NO i'm getting sucked in to his game!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

chrisbudl1 said:
I just got my 97 cobra a month and a half ago, and really haven't raced anyone. Ok maybe a new 350z from 25 to 80 the other day, I never saw him after we got on it. I have some restoring to do on my cobra before I start adding big power to it. :bang: oh well it is still stock after 7 years with 97000 miles on it. so this new guy at work comes in and wants to race. KIDS!! I told him to let me put some new tires on it first. I don't think it is just me but sideways through first gear isn't too comfortable. maybe cool if expected but not if surprised by it. I know his talon is supposed to run mid 13's, and he has a stage2 or 3 turbo, and nos. he promised not to spray though. Should I race him and maybe lose, or just laugh at the amount of money he payed to keep up with stock cobras :rlaugh: I would imagine with traction these cars take off very good. I always just roast the tires. Should I sneak in something on him, like gears?? Hum Gears traction????? OH NO i'm getting sucked in to his game!!!!!

Hey man,

My opinion is that you just race for fun. So what if beats you in his Talon? He spend like 8 grand or whatever just to keep up with a stock cobra. If u win, just gives u some bragging rights.... if u wanna brag abt beating a Talon that is lol! :rlaugh:
Getting beat by an import is nothin to be ashamed of. There are a couple sleeping turbos around here. I got a couple small things done to my car, and i've been smoked by 2 Supra's and a freaking Mercadez by an old woman one day! My friend got smoked by a turbo'd Integra in his 97 Cobra. The Supra's well .. they are the fastest cars in my town. One is dynoing at 680hp ... the other was 800+ HP. But he put abt 50k in the cars (each) so far. Just race and have fun. I think it'd be funny to see the outcome of that race. :nice:

You don't understand the whole thing. this guys brother is suppossed to have a gtr, however I haven't seen it. Another guy at work has a 2003 gt, and yet another guy is living the mustang owner life through the eyes of a saturn. It is like some huge thing since my friend spent 27 grand on a new gt, and I got my cobra for like 10 grand. I just want to enjoy my car, but all I hear is get this and get that, and they are all driving me nuts. So everyone wants to beat a cobra I guess. If I did lose I would never hear the end of it until I won. Cant you hear it Well if you had this you could have won!!! :shrug: :shrug: I just have to hear stupid stuff all day long, I don't need to give these guys anything else blah blah blah about.

You should definetly regear it with some 4.10s and put some sticky Nitto drag radials on the rear before you think about racing. The talon will probably smoke you, get some mods in the car first. The cool thing is that after you regear and put the tires on you can still tell him is stock. ;)

In your situation, I dont think Id race them. Id let them always wonder if they could or not - leave in that bit of mysticism...Mess with their heads a bit.......

then again Im not normal.... :D

peace

chrisbudl1 said:
are those the new saleen wheels on your webpage? if so what size are they? I am wanting the 18x10.5 rears and 18x9 fronts. hopefully I'll get some traction with those :D

Yeh - they are the new Saleen's. They're 18x10.5 in the back i think. Still hard to get traction with my 4:10's though! :shrug:

If traction is your main problem, buy drag radials. Plan and simple. 18s aren't going to solve your traction problem. My car had the same problem when I bought it. Right after 4k the rear tires would break completely loose. I put on a set of nitto drag radials in the back and I have no more traction problems on the street! Gears will make the problem worse without traction. After that, slap some pullies, a midpipe + catback, and a good CAI and you'll be good!

If its and awd drive talon...and he has any mods such as bigger turbo, front mount intercooler, boost controller or exhaust........run...quickly and hide...as there is a very good chance that with his awd launch that he will he halfway down the track before you even get traction.....those cars respond very well to mods and can run in the 12's with VERY minor bolt ons.....just my $.02 worth

steve

Yeah I can confirm that. When I got my 01 cobra I took her to the track to get a feel for her. Ended up getting next to an AWD talon with aftermarket turbo and maybe more??? But the bottom line was his 12.40 pass just plain smoked my stock Cobra's 13.88. Of course like I said mine was bone stock with 1100 miles on the clock. Still had the factory paper element filter. I would sure like to see him again now that I got 15psi worth of Procharger and some gears.

I wouldn't race them. By the sound of it, seems they'll just bother you even more if you lose and maybe the same if you win. So if your intent is to shut them up it seems if you race, win or lose it would just make it worse.

I would'nt hype the car up. They just want to crush any pride you have in your car and bow down to theirs. Just down-play how you think of your car; say: "I'll pass, it's just my daily driver" and blow it off. If they think you don't care much about your car they'll most likely leave you be. [/psychologist hat off] :D

I raced a Talon with my 93 cobra and won. It was a turbo all wheel drive thing. Same story as you. My cars faster nana nana nana. Finally one day I decided to race. My car has a bassini x-pipe and flowmaster, bosch platinums and k&n. so it is virtually stock. His Talon had the sport exhaust with header and air filters a chip and something to give the turbo a little more boost. Well lets just say I spanked that thing. He paid $7k for the car, spent another $3K fixing it so that he could drive it because he bought it at an auction and it was beat up. Then the mods he had at the time cost him another $3k at least. I hit 60 when he was still doing 30. When I hit 80-90 I slowed down and he never caught up. He was to embarrased to face me the rest of the night. Since then he sent the car to some speed shop, he have $12K in reciepts and supposedly the car will run 10s. We'll wait and see. If I where you, I would do some mild upgrades, exhaust, filters, and gears if you want and then race if you want to win. I had some kid with a civic si mess with me one day. he was driving my ass and swerving back and fourth behind me, but when the chance came for him to pull along side me he back down. There are some fast imports out there. those that have thousands invested in them. I biggest glory is being able to tell some of these guys it only cost $800 total to get my car into the 13s. If I put $10K or more like other guys, I would be running 8s at the summer nationals you know what I mean.

spanky442 said:
he was driving my ass and swerving back and fourth behind me, but when the chance came for him to pull along side me he back down.

Almost a daily occurrence for me. :rolleyes:
or they would take off swerving and cutting people off through thick traffic. ricer a$$clowns. :notnice:

Not matter what you win. Let him dump $$ into his car and he will blow the turbos and drivetrain in no time. The mustang can handle more abuse and will cost less $. I try not to waste my time. I respect all cars, but why should I waste my time on some honda or whatever that someone thinks is fast, or why should I waste time on something someone dumped thousands into in order to make it faster or as fast as my mustang. With all that $ invested it better do something. I prefer to go up against other stangs or camaro or cars like that. All you are proving is that it will cost big $ for someone to beat or at least catch up to your mustang.