In need of information

Matthew

Feb 18, 2013
I need as much information as possible. I am about to begin a restoration on a 1968 Mustang hardtop coupe and though I am well versed in fixing things and mechanically inclined, there are some things that are out of my scope. The main thing that I am not familiar with is doing a drum brake conversion to a disc brake set up. I have found many kits, but they only seem to have the front brakes, which go from a 4-lug to a 5-lug pattern. Is it common to just change the front to disc and leave the back drum and if so, how can I convert the rear drums from 4-lug to 5-lug? Thanks everyone for your help. I will make sure and keep everyone posted as to my progress. I am very fortunate to be getting the car that I am getting because the body is flawless and has been sitting in a garage for 3 years. It just needs some love and I plan to bring her back to life.

• Sponsors (?)

The most common way to convert your rear from 4 to 5 lug is an axle swap. 8, 9, and 8.8 inch are usually what people use. You can probably pick up an 8" rear axle pretty cheap (I have one sitting from my 68, looking for a good home) from people upgrading to a 8.8 or 9". Keep your eyes open, and look around.

Go to the 5 lug. Soooo many more wheel choices. It is pretty common to just upgrade the fronts to disc and leave the rear as drum. The fronts provide 80% of your braking power. If you intend to road race the car maybey it would be worth it to do the rears.