In Progress body mods to my Shaker GT conv. (56K warn)

MineralMan

May 17, 2005
San Diego, CA
In Progress body mods to my Shaker GT conv. (New PICS out of the Body Shop)

Most project cars that i've seen go through phases. I just wanted to share the latest round of mods that I'm doing to my '01 GT convertible to push it into it's next phase.

Here is the car a year ago when I bought it (bone stock, down to the original tires):

gtstock.jpg

Here it was after i finished with the first round of mods (last October). This included dual LeMans stripes, side stripes, 18x9" Mach 1 Replica rims, blacked out rear panel, Bullitt Instrument cluster, H&R SS springs, Bullitt side scoops, Mach 1 chin spoiler and Mach 1 grille delete.

gt03.jpg

gt15.jpg

Here are the "in progress" pics of the mods I'm working on now.

Mach 1 Hood / Shaker assembly

tridownfront.jpg

triupfront.jpg

The LeMans stripes have come off (side stripes are still on for now, but will also come off soon). The hood still needs to be prepped and painted. The primer spots on the hood is where some deep gouges were filled in. The hood is DSG, my car is Mineral Gray.

I purchased the Shaker Assembly from Kar Kraft, with the brackets specifically to fit the SOHC engine.

03 Cobra rear bumper

tridownrear.jpg

tricloserear.jpg

These were just the test fit of the bumper. I've already got the COBRA letters filled and smoothed. Just have to do some final prep work on the bumper to prep it for paint. I've got more pictures of the work done to the bumper, just haven't downloaded them out of the camera yet. I'll post some of them up this weekend.

Also in these shots, you can see the 1" wheel spacers (from 50resto.com) that I installed in the rear, to push the 9" wide Mach 1 Replicas out to the edge of the fenders. These are the first pics I've taken with them installed.

Upcoming

Finish prep work onthe parts and paitning them. Once they are painted, I will install the Matte Black Mach 1 hood stripe, and Mach 1-style Matte Black side stripes. No where on the car will it say Mach 1, i'm not trying to pass it off as one. I just love the look of the Mach 1, but they never offered it as a convertible for me to buy. :D

Soon after, exhaust will be replaced. I'm still trying to decide which I want to go with... sooo many choices.

• Sponsors (?)

Awesome man :nice:

How much did that Mach hood and shaker assembly run you? Was the Hood bought from Ford or KarKraft? (Looks like you have to get it from Ford, how much did that run you?) It looks just the same as the factory Machs and not cheesy like the CDC Shaker.

Keep up the progress reports!

Looking good. :nice: Im glad you are doing away with the stripes. I kinda like it better withouut them, exspecially with the shaker and the cobra bumper.

helty said:
Awesome man :nice:

How much did that Mach hood and shaker assembly run you? Was the Hood bought from Ford or KarKraft? (Looks like you have to get it from Ford, how much did that run you?) It looks just the same as the factory Machs and not cheesy like the CDC Shaker.

Keep up the progress reports!

The shaker assembly with the modified brackets was just under $600. Here's the link to the Kar Kraft site: http://www.karkraft.com/Shakers and Scoops.htm The hood and the rear bumper I both go from eBay. With shipping, I ended up spending $400 on the hood, which was cheaper than any place I could find the hood (either online or locally). It is the factory Mach 1 hood and shaker, the only thing that is different is the brackets which allow you to attach it to a SOHC engine.

bakos24 said:
Looking good. :nice: Im glad you are doing away with the stripes. I kinda like it better withouut them, exspecially with the shaker and the cobra bumper.

I enjoyed having the stripes on them when the hood was stock GT. I got lots of looks, lots of :nice: on the freeway or in traffic, and just random people talking to me about my car. It was eye catching. But, with the shaker it wouldn't look right. I've seen a car with the CDC shaker that had the dual stripes.. it looked out of place.

ArcAngel said:
Excellent post! I have an '02 GT Vert and I was thinking of also adding the shaker to it. Hard hard is it to install?

It's cake to install. The hood is just a simple remove and replace. For the shaker, one part of the bracket attaches to the back of the engine where the throttle cable attaches, at the front it attaches to where the alternator attaches. The most troublesome part is jsut getting everything aligned properly so that the shaker sits square and level in the hood opening. It's just tedious and requires alot of opening and shutting of the hood. adjust. shut. open. adjust. shut. open. adjust. shut.

The kit does come with the air cleaner assembly, which routes what little air gets forced intot he shaker down into the actual air cleaner assembly. That requires cutting your stock intake box (where the air filter is). I haven't done that part yet.

GT02MG said:
Best color ever:hail2:
Really nice looking mods dude...that shaker is awesome:nice:

Yes it is... the only color that I wanted when I bought my 'Stang. :nice:

Here are a few pics of filling and smoothing out the COBRA rear bumper letters.

smoothie01.jpg

smoothie02.jpg

smoothie03.jpg

smoothie04.jpg

smoothie05.jpg

smoothie06.jpg

ArcAngel said:
Please post images of your under hood installation when you get it completed. I am totally jealous :D

These are all the pics that I had in my camera. This afternoon I will be doing another test fit of the rear bumper. I will snag some pics of the updated work on the bumper and I will snag a few more pics of the underhood installation for you.

muscle car direct sells an OE fit carbon fiber mach hood for cheaper than an unpainted OE hood. In case any one else wants to do the swap.

The CDC kit WILL work with a Mach hood, just takes some washers and a Mach drain seal... and some minor adjustment.

I'm switching to the KarKraft kit though so I can get a CAI and some other crap done, and still have the underhood look decent.

Any one happen to knwo if the KarKraft kit mounting bracket clears an Accufab plenum? I had to modify the CDC bracket slightly to work.

MineralMan said:
This afternoon I will be doing another test fit of the rear bumper. I will snag some pics of the updated work on the bumper and I will snag a few more pics of the underhood installation for you.

I wasn't able to work onthe car this weekend. The weather was crappy and I was sick for most of the weekend. I will get some updated photos shortly.

archerto said:
Love what you have done to your car. What did you use to fill the cobra letters in with?

I filled them with 3M Automix Flexible Parts Repair. It is a two part paste, similar to body filler, but it is designed to be flexible so it doesn't crack when the bumper flexes. Here is a link to the 3M website:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/...us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html