In Progress body mods to my Shaker GT conv. (56K warn)

• Sponsors (?)

Well guys, no one is as anxious as I am to see the final product. I figured I'd update you with a few teaser pics. Today I dropped it off at the body shop. Here's what it looked like right before I left.

My body shop guy said that I could save some money if I did some of the remove and re-install work myself. So, I delivered it without the front bumper, without the headlights, without the rear reflectors, without the GT badges on the fenders and with the stripes removed on the lower portion of the fenders. I removed the headlights once I got to the shop.

offtoshop1.jpg

offtoshop2.jpg

offtoshop3.jpg

offtoshop4.jpg

Also, I know i've seen some posts about replacing the badges on the fenders, and some wanting to know what was behind the badges. Here's a photo of the front fender holes.

fenderholes.jpg

Once I get the car back (which should be Tuesday of next week), I will remove the white MUSTANG GT decals from the bottoms of the doors. When I can, I will install the Mach 1 hood stripe and Mach 1 style lower side stripes. I've also got another suprise for my car, but I'll have to wait until Wednesday to pick it up.

Hey guys... sorry I didn't post last week at all. The body shop I took my car to had alot of business last week, so they weren't able to get started on my car until late last week. While I wanted my car back, it was Ok with me since I was on vacation and really didn't "need" my car this past week. I got a call on Saturday saying that the car was finished, but wasn't ready to be picked up. I'll be going by this afternoon after work to pick it up, take it home to rebuild it. I'll try and get some photos up tonight, if the weather gets better by this evening (raining right now).

More to come shortly...

I just got back from the body shop. The car was supposed to be ready this morning and I went buy to pay and pick up keys. They resprayed the right front fender again this morning, as there were some very minor belmishes in the top layer of clear coat... so it just needs a final wet sanding and it'll be ready for me to pick up tonight.

The car looks bad a$$. I can't wait to get it all back together and snap off a few photos.

Still more to come....

Even though I had to wait for a few extra days, it was well worth the wait. After picking the car up after work I rushed against the falling sun to get her put back together so I could snap a few pics before it was completely dark.

Here is the front with the freshly painted hood. The tops of the fenders were blended and the entire fender was clearcoated. It came out looking amazing.
paintside.jpg

hoodpaintclose.jpg

hoodpaintclose2.jpg

Here's the smoothed Cobra rear bumper. :drool: :drool: By far, this came out even better than I imagined it would.

paintside2.jpg

paintbumper1.jpg

paintbumper2.jpg

Here's one of my suprises. While the car was in the shop, my custom vanity plates came in. :nice:

newplate.jpg

The other suprise I've had for awhile... 6 months in fact. Before I did the Shaker conversion, I wanted to see what it would look like in Mineral Grey. So, I snagged an AutoArt diecast 1:18 scale Mach 1 Mustang in Screaming Yellow.

autoartyellow.jpg

autoartyellowside.jpg

I tore it apart and cut the top of it off (well, cut the roof away from the windshield/roof part).

autoartapart.jpg

I repainted it Mineral Gray with some leftover paint I had when I painted the Bullitt Side Scoops. Now, I've got a Mini-Me version of my Shaker GT. :nice:

model1.jpg

model2.jpg

model3.jpg

The model still needs a few finishing touches, such as the top of the windshield and I need to build a convertible top cover to cover up the coupe rear speaker shelf.

I can't wash my car for two days. I also need to take off the rest of the white MUSTANG GT lettering on the doors. In a couple of weeks, when the Mach 1 stripes arrive I'll apply those and get some better photos of the completed project.

Thanks for all the compliments as I've gone through this process, I'm glad you guys like what I've done with my car.

thats awesome, but now you need to clean the engine bay and post pics of there too :p

BTW you should have done what I did. Buy 2 models and mix and match parts! I got a GT one and swapped the spoiler and wheels and took the hood stripe off so my car could have its mini-me. That may be an option for you still.

Once again, the car looks f'n sweet!

haha.. i'm sure that there is probably a SHAKR GT in all 50 states. I'm just glad I snagged the CA plate first.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I can't wait to get the rest of the stuff done and some decent photos taken.

Guess I need to change my signature now. :-D