Inferiority Complex of German Journalists

05'StangLover

Jul 17, 2004
Hi,
I love the new Stang and I read every article about it,this one I have found on one of the German car-magazine sites.Unfortunately I am too lazy to translate the whole article but they say in one sentence : "despite cheap plasticks ,the interior is quite ordered"
I agree that the plasticks inside aren't first-class but do Germans produce any car that is better in this price range???
The worst thing is that people in Europe aren't able to check if they like the car or not and they believe every word the auto magazines say.
I don't care and as soon as I earn enough money I will ship the new Stang to Europe... :D
Are You listening Ford???

here's the article:
http://www.automotorundsport.de/d/69463

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know about all of that, but Ms. September looks pretty good on their calendar girls feature.

The day we can impress the Germans with our interior materials is still a long ways off I'm afraid. They should take price into account though. I have a '98 Cobra and an '03 330i currently, and I have to say that it is night and day when comparing interiors. But I also paid ~12k more for the bimmer(five years later, about $3k more than an '03 Cobra at sticker). I'm hoping that this '05 Mustang bridges the gap significantly in all areas including the interior. It's pretty obvious that Ford took a good look at the BMW 3 series when designing the latest 'Stang, and it's no secret that they have looked at BMW's ///M program for inspiration for its SVT offerings.

The front suspension on the new Mustang is nearly identical to what is used on the 3 series, although I believe it was originally designed by a Ford egineer(MacPherson strut). The wheelbase is almost identical to that of the 3, and the front overhang of the new stang is very similar as well, although that is common with a lot of new cars thankfully. I haven't driven one yet, but the new car should ride and handle much better than its predecessor. Progress!

A few years ago I was seriously considering buying a BMW, 3 or 5. While the BMW inteiors on their $40K - $50K cars are clearly superior than a $25K Mustang, I was not all that impressed with the BMW interiors considering the price of a BMW. The standard seat material is "leatherette", which appears to be a fancy Germany name for "plastic". Leather is a $1,450 option and metallic paint is a $450 option.

Yes BMWs are nice, but they are expensive. A 330 with even modest option selections will run you $40K.

However, if Ford thinks that it can lure BMW 3 Series customers into buying a Mustang, Ford better get its ^&*( together and add some luxury options like DVD NAV, heated seats, etc. to the Mustang option list.

I am currently waiting for my 05 Mustang GT to be deliverd to the port in Bremmerhaven!!! I am an American contractor working for the DoD in Germany. I ordered the 05 GT back in July through AAFES new car sales. I should pick mine up some time the end of this month or early November. I will post pictures as soon as I have them!! This will be the third Mustang (99 V6 and 02 GT) I have shipped over here. Each time I put one up for sale, I had a long line of Germans willing to pay almost as much as I paid for the car when it was new. What does that tell you about what the Germans think about U.S. cars.....

351CJ said:
A few years ago I was seriously considering buying a BMW, 3 or 5. While the BMW inteiors on their $40K - $50K cars are clearly superior than a $25K Mustang, I was not all that impressed with the BMW interiors considering the price of a BMW. The standard seat material is "leatherette", which appears to be a fancy Germany name for "plastic". Leather is a $1,450 option and metallic paint is a $450 option.

Yes BMWs are nice, but they are expensive. A 330 with even modest option selections will run you $40K.

However, if Ford thinks that it can lure BMW 3 Series customers into buying a Mustang, Ford better get its ^&*( together and add some luxury options like DVD NAV, heated seats, etc. to the Mustang option list.

I agree with your post. BMWs are over-priced. My 330 stickered at $38,800, which is more than I have ever payed for a car before. I payed a little under $38k for it, but not much. I skipped most of the options that drive the price up, but I did get the Sport Package, Leather and Bi-Xenon headlights(and the 6-speed was standard). If you can do without a lot of the fluff, you can get a pretty good car for the money. And if you can live without the 3.0, you can save a bunch more but I couldn't.

Yeah, I doubt Ford will lure many people away from BMW, but they have to be considered competiton now that the F-body twins are gone. I'm hoping that Ford will put maybe a little better stuff on the 'upscale' SVT now that they have a pretty good car to work with, as long as the price doesn't climb into the $40k range. I still think the GT is very nice all around for its modest price. I think Ford is headed in the right direction.

European car magazines tend to be very biased. They still have a complex about no being the center of the world.

Even top gear which I love to watch is biased as hell, whenever a british car comes on you would think that god himself made it.

European magazines dont really understand everyday driver powerful cars they like cute little underpowered politically correct roadsters. Look at the cars the majority of wurope drives every day. They are craptastic.

351CJ said:

You guys sound like a bunch of damn women. the INTERIOR? Woman agonize over the interior not men. Pansies. My supervisor drives a 2000 5 series bmw and when I ride in it the only thing that DOESN'T register with me is the stinking interior. :rolleyes: What DOES register with me is the way it handles, hauls ass and looks on the outside. However, because I think the Mustang appeals more to my sense of aggression I prefer it's styling hands down over a BMW, and virtually any other car out there, especially 4 door imorts which scream BORING. But I do wish Ford would eliminate that damn wheel/fender gap once and for all. it drives me up the damn wall.

peyotesands said:
You guys sound like a bunch of damn women. the INTERIOR? Woman agonize over the interior not men. Pansies. My supervisor drives a 2000 5 series bmw and when I ride in it the only thing that DOESN'T register with me is the stinking interior. :rolleyes: What DOES register with me is the way it handles, hauls ass and looks on the outside. However, because I think the Mustang appeals more to my sense of aggression I prefer it's styling hands down over a BMW, and virtually any other car out there, especially 4 door imorts which scream BORING. But I do wish Ford would eliminate that damn wheel/fender gap once and for all. it drives me up the damn wall.

The reason you probably don't notice the interior is becuase it is nice, and not offensive and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. There is no reason we can't have a better interior in the Mustang - it should not be a weakness is all I'm saying. I'm with you on the appealing parts of a car, but the interior should not be overlooked.

RandyB said:
The reason you probably don't notice the interior is becuase it is nice, and not offensive and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. There is no reason we can't have a better interior in the Mustang - it should not be a weakness is all I'm saying. I'm with you on the appealing parts of a car, but the interior should not be overlooked.

To be fair and less ornery, you're probably right. And if you want a better interior then that's cool, and Ford should deliver, but as long as I'm not sitting on a crate nailed to the floor board, with the roof fabric hanging in my face and the glove compartment door hanging down by a hinge then I'm good to go.

Bimmer is currently making the ugliest cars on the road. The 3 series is the last decent looking car they have, but even that is being replaced by a newer ugly version. Their cars are also overpriced. Bring back the 2002--something affordable with good simple styling and not a bunch of luxo yuppie crap. Anyway, I'd take a Mustang GT and change over anything Bimmer makes now.

a german/european car has to be: Comfortable and/or sporty at 30 mph, save at 155 mph (build for a long time topspeed) and a good handling all over it. And a good fuel economy. (our current gas prices over $1,50 per LITRE!!!). A mustang has only 2 or 4 airbags, lower topspeed and less electronic. And a larger engine for the same hp. - So what? :shrug:

Well, the plastic is hard and cheaper in OUR new pony (we love it to :hail2: ), then in bmw or audi's, but its top build quality :nice: good job Ford!

The german press like the new mustang too and hopes it comes to europe. Well, the plastic ist cheap - so what? :shrug: its well craftet, looks good, sounds good and the price ist ok. A little bit aftermarket and its ready for the german autobahn.

The mustang is a characterfull oiriginal, like the porsche 911 or the Range Rover. And it looks like an original!

Pulp Fiction looks cheaper than Titanic - but Tarantino is cult!!! :nice:

05'StangLover said:
Hi,
I love the new Stang and I read every article about it,this one I have found on one of the German car-magazine sites.Unfortunately I am too lazy to translate the whole article but they say in one sentence : "despite cheap plasticks ,the interior is quite ordered"
I agree that the plasticks inside aren't first-class but do Germans produce any car that is better in this price range???
The worst thing is that people in Europe aren't able to check if they like the car or not and they believe every word the auto magazines say.
I don't care and as soon as I earn enough money I will ship the new Stang to Europe... :D
Are You listening Ford???

here's the article:
http://www.automotorundsport.de/d/69463

Did you read the whole article? :rolleyes:

It's actually just describing the new 'Stang. If doesn't even lean on one side or the other. It talks about the powerful V8 and what an experience the sound of the car is.
It finishes by saying
"Ein Auto für Romantiker, die an US-Traditionen hängen. In Europa, so glaubt man bei Ford, gibt es zu wenige davon. Deshalb ist der Export nach Euroland nicht vorgesehen."
That means that the car is for romantics of US traditions. Ford believes that in Europe there are not many and that is why there will be no export over there.
Why romantics? Well, there are not many cars like the Mustang in Europe. It has by far a larger engine, and that is the car's main focus. Europeans like to focus on handling and stuff, not just 1/4 mile times. So their traditions are different.
In any way, a BMW is a different car than a Mustang, which is different then a Benz. Every car has its skill and quality, and we all know which we preffer.

new22003 said:
European car magazines tend to be very biased. They still have a complex about no being the center of the world.

Even top gear which I love to watch is biased as hell, whenever a british car comes on you would think that god himself made it.

European magazines dont really understand everyday driver powerful cars they like cute little underpowered politically correct roadsters. Look at the cars the majority of wurope drives every day. They are craptastic.

top gear was good to the ford gt

ryanrule said:
top gear was good to the ford gt

Yes but they made numerous references to its british heritage. Many british still consider the shelby cobra and original gt40 a totally british car. If it has british ties in any way shape or form they fawn all over it.

Most of the reports I have read in UK magazines over in England have been full of praise for the S197 (it is not going to be officialy sold here). Usually US cars get a rough time from UK writers but the new pony seems to have captured their imagination (despite the lack of IRS!) The new Mustang is going to be huge, Ford have got a massive success on their hands. I have a black GT on order.

351CJ said:

I agree that Ford needs to add some luxury options to the Mustang. IMHO, any car which passes, today, the $30K price mark really should offer something in the way of luxury. Yea, I understand Ford needs to keep the price of the stripped down V6 Mustang low, but offering some nice things in the more expensive (by almost twice!) is certainly overdue.

BTW, I don't think Ford needs to lure BMW customers away. It seems BMW is good job driving (pun?) them away without any outsider's help. Apparently, there are BMW owners who are unhappy with the way BMW's new iDrive works. In response, BMW executives' statements show how they "consider the people complaining about iDrive stupid, and that maybe they shouldn't be driving BMWs anyway". :scratch:

BTW, I don't think Ford needs to lure BMW customers away. It seems BMW is good job driving (pun?) them away without any outsider's help. Apparently, there are BMW owners who are unhappy with the way BMW's new iDrive works. In response, BMW executives' statements show how they "consider the people complaining about iDrive stupid, and that maybe they shouldn't be driving BMWs anyway".

now, that IS funny :lol: