Info on 67-68 harness from Painless...

Ok, I just got an email back form painless (very quickly I might add) about the 67 harness I have been waiting on them to come out with. Here is his reply and the attachment he sent as an FYI:

We do not have anything ready as of yet. I have been told that it may be out
by the end of November of this year. If you are in need of a harness please
see attachment for details.

Attachment: 1967 – Later Universal Muscle Car Harness

We do not make a specific harness for your year or type of vehicle. We do however have a universal muscle car harness part number 20103 (12 circuit) or 20104 (18 circuit) harness. This harness will re-wire the entire vehicle from headlights to taillights. It will be color-coded and will have the printing directly on each of the wires.

This harness will have the bulkhead connector that will mount in the stock firewall location. (Please be aware that some firewall modifications may need to be done.) If you plan on not making any modifications to the car you can go with our 12-circuit kit. This kit will allow you to run the stock system and have extra power slots for AC/HEAT, Elec. Fan and Radio. If you plan on making a full-customized car then you will need our 18-circuit kit. This kit will allow for extra power options like Power Windows, Door Locks, and Electric Fuel Pump. If you have any more questions feel free to call our tech line at 1 800 423 9696.

Thanks
Painless Performance Products

• Sponsors (?)

Steelhorse, go custom. If I went this route,(and I may), I could locate the fuse box in the floor console. There is probably room up under the dash though. It would really be cool if the wires were long enough to locate it in the trunk so you would have easy access to fuses and ease the wiring process! Did you ask them about that?!!!

I just got through rewiring every piece of wire in my car with repro harnesses. Then, instead of tapping into the stock wires, I got a Painless 7-circuit auxiallary fuse block to wire in all my extras (gauges, radio, fuel pump, etc). It was super-easy to install, and runs off a 10 gauge wire direct from the solenoid (with a 30-amp circuit breaker in between). There is one wire that goes to the stock fuse panel that is attached with a fuse clip that triggers the ignition only circuits (block has 3-always hot and 4-ignition hot circuits).

C'ya!

Kelton

I am in the process (still) of putting an 18-circuit universal painless kit in my 67. One of the options you can get for that kit is the trunk mounted fuse panel. I got that option plus the trunk mounted battery and solenoid. The painless kit is of outstanding quality and each wire is well labelled. I only have two complaints...one, the manual is way to generic and you are going to have to figure most of it out yourself...two, when any manufacturer says their kit is "universal" that really means it is not a direct fit for "anything" :D

Here's a pic of my fuse box:
Picture%20034.jpg

I had little choice but to use a universal kit due to all the things I have that are not stock. In fact the painless kit did not even provide for some of them so I made this "brain center" thing to handle all the relays and junction blocks:
brain2.jpg

Attachments

• Picture%20034.jpg
    Picture%20034.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 89
  • brain2.jpg
    brain2.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 76
Dave - as Edbert said they do have a trunk mount option which I am probably going to get if I go custom, If not I was going to go with the 67 9when it comes out) and then add an extra 4 circuit piece for my extras.

Edbert - Keep uus updated on how your install goes and tips/tricks. Also what did you use to make your trunk surround? MDF?