Attachments

• 91452771.jpg
    91452771.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 1cddf433.jpg
    1cddf433.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 71
mijo_latino said:
Time to install the bbk shortie headers today. I'm going to try and post pictures as I go through out the day. I'm sure this willl turn into tech Q and A with people who've done it before, so check regularly...

Cool...! Those are equal length? Stock midpipe? I want to do the same. Can't do long tubes cause I'm too low. Next year I'm going to an O/R mid pipe, hopefully an "H" pipe.

Subscribing...

On Edit: Just saw you're not w/stock midpipe. Post an audio clip sometime if you can.

mijo_latino said:

Wow... make sure you actually finish that project. With the car up on stands like that and the rest of the surroundings, it looks like Arkansas threw up in there. I've seen that whole 'vehicle on the stands in the backyard surrounded in weeds' on Cops a few times before in the background of some crazy domestic dispute or something. :D

Congrats on the header install though! Good luck with the top starter bolt, and make sure you don't mess up the gaskets when installing the headers. Hate to have a leak somewhere when it's all done!

Does the header to the right in the picture have a slip fit flange on it? I can't tell. but if it does, good luck in getting that to seal!

Attachments

• 91452771.jpg
    91452771.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 82
heh, i think i seen todo running around somewhere....

so far, the instructions http://www.fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml

have been great. everything is going smoothly so far. the bbk header have a couple of slots on the header holes, not all.
only on step 13, lol. i expected myself to go slow, labor day, here i come!
DSCF0645.jpg

DSCF0643.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0643.jpg
    DSCF0643.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0645.jpg
    DSCF0645.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75
thats what sucks about this whole thing. I thought i could just pick up some at autozone as everyone and there mom said they stock copper ones.... well they don't. for now its the bbk ones, but seeing how easy this all is, i will replace those as soon as i need something to do.

It doesn't seem like anything else is in the way once the K is removed, i've stopped following the directions as mine is a 98. we'll see how this goes.

The reason i decided to do this...
DSCF0650.jpg

DSCF0649.jpg

DSCF0648.jpg

(the chaepo fillter! i was in a rush and stopped at a quicky lube place. -5 points, i know)
DSCF0646.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0650.jpg
    DSCF0650.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0646.jpg
    DSCF0646.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0648.jpg
    DSCF0648.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0649.jpg
    DSCF0649.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 47
well, had to stop early today due to rain. Its been on and off since 5:00. As of right now the passanger side header is in place and just needs to be tightened down. I may have to remove the starter to get to bottom left bolt to tighten down. There is very little room to tighten these bolts. Its not that the car is in the way, its that the headers themselves get in the way. The only way is to have open ended wrenches, even the closed end is too thick to get in between the flange and header pipes. I had to nudge the engine a bit and create an opening from above to get one of the top bolts into place. Sorry, no pics this time.
Bright and early tomarrow. I think it will go fairly quick now.

That's a good tip on the spindles, I guess the whole control arm has to go to get them off?

I have a jack under with a block on the oil pan to support the engine. The k-member bolts had no problems coming off. a couple were a bit worn, but none were seized or anything. Dieffently grab a can of pb blaster and you'll have no worries. I haved sprayed every bolt i've turned to be on the safe side. I was surprised at the ease the header nuts came off.

This car has 126,000 mile all in michigan hence the rust.

mijo_latino said:
That's a good tip on the spindles, I guess the whole control arm has to go to get them off?

Nah, you could if you wanted to though! That would make it even lighter ;) There is a nut on top of the balljoint where the spindle mounts to it. Simply take it off, and smack the spindle with a hammer till it comes loose hah.

mijo_latino said:
I have a jack under with a block on the oil pan to support the engine. The k-member bolts had no problems coming off. a couple were a bit worn, but none were seized or anything. Dieffently grab a can of pb blaster and you'll have no worries. I haved sprayed every bolt i've turned to be on the safe side. I was surprised at the ease the header nuts came off.

This car has 126,000 mile all in michigan hence the rust.

Is the transmission half-way supported with the oil pan? I wouldn't want to put ALL the weight of the motor on the oil pan, could end up bending it.

LOL man you're telling me about michigan rust - I just got a solid rear out of a 2000 gt with only 50k miles...all michigan miles... Friggin thing had rusted through exhaust, rusted through floor pan in some places...and the shocks and quad shocks on the solid axle were completely shot (like they had no fluid left in them lol)... The catback was LITERALLY rust-welded onto the midpipe...we had to take the catback hangers off the car, then push down on the catback till it CRACKED off the mid-pipe hahahhaa. I sand blasted the piss out of the axle though and now it looks better than my 04 rear end did when i took it out...next up welding the axle tubes and torque boxes WOOHOO.

Day two...

today started a bit later(a guy's gotta eat) and things are going good. both headers are on and im in the process of tightening everything down. This takes a while as a few bolts have to go an 1/4 or less of a turn with the wrench.

Here's how the clearences look. Imagine tring to do this with the k-member still there....
DSCF0658.jpg

DSCF0662.jpg

DSCF0663.jpg

it looks like the bottom right motor mount stud needs to be shaven down about an 1/2" as it hits the header a bit.

Attachments

• DSCF0662.jpg
    DSCF0662.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF0658.jpg
    DSCF0658.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0663.jpg
    DSCF0663.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 46