Installed X pipe on GT, possible leak....

jesusphreak

Oct 14, 2003
South Texas
hey guys, i just finished putting my VRS x pipe w/ cats on. I think i have a leak, but the only time i hear the leak is when im Accelerating. If i just sit in my driveway and rev it up, it doesn't make a noise. But if i'm moving and give it any gas it sounds like a leak coming from driver side. I have tightened it down all the way, even to the point where the flange thingies are kinda starting to cup because of it being so tight. Any ideas. I think i'm gunna take it somewhere and have em impact it this week if ya'll think it is a leak. Chris

• Sponsors (?)

pass. side was much better fit than driver's side with my prochamber. i'm sure u made sure gasket wasn't left on stock pipe. not much else to check.

although with my prochamber, it did often sound like it was leaking to me, especially after u first install it. u just here alot more of the gases passing through than u do with the stock pipe.

I got the magnaflow x with cats and it has a raspy leak sound when accelarating as well. I don't know if it's a leak or what. Mine really happens when it shifts into 2nd gear and is at low rpm but not at all when at idle in the driveway. Who knows, if you figure it out let me know.
Thanks

you need NAPA stud kit for driver side manihold ball&socket joint.
I was told PN# is 600-1819, but does not exist on their parts inventory book...

I do need to replace that myslef

it sounds like its coming from exactly where the x pipe meets the header.
I can only hear it while driving so i can't get out and listen for it. It's almost like ticking i guess, hard to explain, one of my friends told me that x pipes are raspy so it might be that, he said to try going about 35 and put it in over drive and see if it still does it, and it did, so he said he was pretty sure it was a leak.
I don't wanna take it off to reinspect, that'll be a pain, and one of the passenger side nuts is kinda stripped so i don't know if it is coming off lol.
How many ft/lbs should i torque those nuts down to
it was kinda hard to see but it looked like i had them between 45 - 55 (kinda hard to see under car at funny angles)
Chris

Tightening the nuts down more is not going to get rid of the leak. Take it to a good muffler shop and have them check the fit of the x pipe to header. My magnaflow x w/cats did the same thing. I took it to the shop, and they grinded down the flange that meets up with the exhaust manifold. Problem solved.

rob1 said:
I got the magnaflow x with cats and it has a raspy leak sound when accelarating as well. I don't know if it's a leak or what. Mine really happens when it shifts into 2nd gear and is at low rpm but not at all when at idle in the driveway. Who knows, if you figure it out let me know.
Thanks
I have that same noise I think... if I accelerate on the highway next to jersey barriers, I can hear a "hiss" kind of noise... :shrug:

is it a leak? or just the notorious 'raspy' x pipe sound :scratch: