Installing Motive 3.73 Gears soon

• Sponsors (?)

alright here are soem special tools that i have to make it more easier this is my bearing puller kit

23tghsn.jpg

and this is my race installer kit

View attachment 450481

and the handy dandy dial indicator for setting the back lash

View attachment 450483

Attachments

• 23tghsn.jpg
    23tghsn.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 47
Ok guys well i have everything needed for this install except a press to put the pinion bearing back on and a set of replacement bearings all around. Sooo i will be re-using all the old stuff, and if it breaks in the future i'll just go in there and do it again. The car only has 56k miles on it and its been too long now and i can't get my hands on a master bearing kit at the moment, so im just going to do it and hope everything works out =) Maybe if this install goes into Monday or Tuesday (I'll go out and buy the kit). But its Saturday now and its gear install time!

Wish me luck, i'll post pics and a write up of how i did it later on this weekend or later in the week

And the inevitble happened. ran into problems. Can't get the pinion out of the diff case AT ALL. Hammer and hammerin away with the flange already off and nothing. I can get my fingers behind the pinion head on the inside of the case...but this bitch isn't comin out LOL

So i have to wait until tomorrow when i can bring a sledge.

NOTE: my car is only up on 2 jack stands in the rear...if this were up on a lift, hitting this pinion out would be much easier

If you have a second vehicle, it makes it a lot easier. Take out the R&P, then take the old pinion with bearing along with new pinion and new bearing, to any local machine shop or garage, and have them reuse the shims from the old pinion, when pressing the new bearing on the new pinion. Shouldn't cost you more than $20.

Or...

heat up the pinion bearing with a torch or put it in the oven, so it will expand. It should then slide right on the pinion, especially if you place the pinion in the freezer for about an hour.

Old tricks, but a press works better and faster if you have access to one.

edit:
I just read the problem, and I believe Duke was referring to banging on the rear while only having wheel chocks in the front keeping it from moving... at least that what I'm thinking!

Duke309 said:
putting a lot of pressure on the car in impacts could make it jump off the jackstands.

I think my car fallin on me would be the perfect ending to this nightmare of a project i started :rlaugh:

But really i never thought of that, but they seem to be holding up fine. Thanks for the concern, i'll watch em more closely

I just got back from ford. I bought 2 new races and 2 new bearings for the new pinion going in...but im reusing all the other bearings. (a little broke right now) And i personally think the pinion bearings are hte only ones that im going to mangle trying to take off the pinion head....hell now that i have new ones maybe i wont even bother :shrug:

UDTBadkarma said:
I think my car fallin on me would be the perfect ending to this nightmare of a project i started :rlaugh:

But really i never thought of that, but they seem to be holding up fine. Thanks for the concern, i'll watch em more closely

I just got back from ford. I bought 2 new races and 2 new bearings for the new pinion going in...but im reusing all the other bearings. (a little broke right now) And i personally think the pinion bearings are hte only ones that im going to mangle trying to take off the pinion head....hell now that i have new ones maybe i wont even bother :shrug:

Hey, UDTBadkarma i've read that you are in a bit of a hold up with the pinion in trying to get it out?? :shrug:

03ghoststang said:
Hey, UDTBadkarma i've read that you are in a bit of a hold up with the pinion in trying to get it out?? :shrug:

Well im interning at a BMW dealership at the moment as a tech. So today i bought a larger hammer from the MAC guy that came and knocked that pinion out in 2 shots when i got home. Wish I had that freakin thing yesterday.

I put the job on hold AGAIN and move into Day3 now with this installation (only putting about 2 hours in a day) as my CURRENT problem is i can not get that larger pinion race out of the diff case. I have the small one out but the larger bearing isn't coming off. I ALSO can not get the stock ring gear off the carrier. I'm taking the carrier to work tomorrow at BMW and after work im going to rebuild the t-lock clutch packs and install the new ring and also press the new bearing on the new pinion head.

Wish me luck. this project is turning into a nightmare LOL. I enjoy workin on myc ar even if this is taking forever...but as struggling as i am, i dont feel this rear end gear install is impossible. I think it IS however IMPERATIVE that you have all the right tools...which i thought i had...but apparently not :( I keep running into problems. Primarily...the fact that i dont have a lift!

03ghoststang said:
well for the stock ring gear its easy put it on a vice and zap the bolts off and hit it with the hammer at different spots till it falls

Yeah im taking the carrier to my work tomorrow. Going to uninstall the ring gear and t-lok kit and install all the new stuff tomorrow...then come home tomorrow and throw it all in.

My Raptor Shift light just arrived today too. Tomorrow is going to be a fun install day. Hope i get it all done tomorrow. But im expecting this to take a few more days for one reason or another.

Scheduled to make a track run this weekend if i can get these gears in and fully functional.

holy..... freakin.... crap. This nightmare moves on to like day 3 of 4 now. I lost track....Every set of directions neglects to mention that you need a 3/8 to 1/2 conversion extension to convert the inch/lb 3/8 torque wrench to fit the 1&1/16th 1/2 drive socket to torque the pinion nut down :bang: After frantically searching 2 tool bags, socket boxes and my tool box, i find i DONT have that damn conversion. Dont know WHAT happened to it, but its gone.... super...

this is getting out of hand. Every day i do 1 hours worth of work, and then find im missing a part or a tool i need and ahve to wait until the next day. At least my Ford Tech helped me press on the new pinion shim and bearing for free. He used the pinion shim from the stock pinion on the new one. So i didn't need to do that MHD technique thing. He said that shim is designed for that rear/carrier not the pinion itself. So it should be dead on. So if thats the case, i dont see the big concern for making sure u have the right pinion shim if you can just re-use the old one :shrug:

Soooo tomorrow's project:
-- Get a 3/8 to 1/2 conversion for my torque wrench
-- Finish this damn gear install
(tighten pinion nut, throw carrier in, reassemble axels/brakes, DONE).

Warning: in the future if you do gear installs.... make sure you have ALL the right tools 1st :nonono: :(

Christ!

I was planning on doing a gear install myself but after reading all the BS your going through all i can say is ***** THAT! I am going to take my car to a shop and dish out the extra cash. I really feel bad for you because you sounded real excited before this started and it ended up turning into a nightmare. Really sorry to hear that dude.

Real quick did you ever switch to FRPP 3.73 or stick with motive because i am looking at mustangtuning right now and i'm planning on buying my gears from there. i too have heard of the dreaded whine that motives have been known to make so thats kinda why i think i am going to go with FRPP instead.

Lots of luck and i hope there is a big pay off in the end for you.

Nick

shallowreef said:
Christ!

I was planning on doing a gear install myself but after reading all the BS your going through all i can say is ***** THAT! I am going to take my car to a shop and dish out the extra cash. I really feel bad for you because you sounded real excited before this started and it ended up turning into a nightmare. Really sorry to hear that dude.

Real quick did you ever switch to FRPP 3.73 or stick with motive because i am looking at mustangtuning right now and i'm planning on buying my gears from there. i too have heard of the dreaded whine that motives have been known to make so thats kinda why i think i am going to go with FRPP instead.

Lots of luck and i hope there is a big pay off in the end for you.

Nick

Mustang tuning never returend my e-mail early in the week... or at all actually... so I kept my motives. And while motives are "known for whine" gears dont wine... only improperlly installed/shimmed ones do. So its not the Motive gears that whine its the install. RICHMOND gears do whine...but i honestly dont know whats up with them. :shrug: I've known people with motives though and have never had a problem (i'm hoping i'm one of them).

Like all the mods that i've done on my car. Now that i've DONE a gear install...i'm confident i could do another hassle free in a few hours. I've just been unlucky with parts and supplies i guess.

Don't be afraid to do the install yourself though, its really not as hard as i thought it would be. Which probably sounds ironic for me to say, since this has been a nightmare install LOL. But really its not too complicated. I even rebuit my t-lok. Which is a good idea to do while you install gears, as those friction plates burn up often enough if you romp on the car :)

But im heading back outside now to finish this job up. I'm just torqueing the pinion down and then installing the carrier and re-assembling everything. Shouldn't take me too long...

Oh, by the way. Get FRPP gears. They just are the best to go with. I went with motives at the time cause i was cheap and broke... lol I saved $80 by getting motives... but really i regret doing it. I love FRPP stuff.