installing SC's

Q's Stang

Jun 28, 2004
Indianapolis
my buddy has an 05 gt and he installed a vortech a couple months a go with a buddy and said it wasnt that bad at all. now i am following the forced induction bandwagon & decided next summer im going to get a SC as well. i was planning on getting the kb 9psi IC, but i wasnt sure if it would be a more difficult or easier install compared to the vortech? are there any pro's & con's w/ the kb install compared to the vortech?

• Sponsors (?)

oh it definitely wont scare me away...just trying to plan way way ahead i guess! im almost sold on the KB 9# IC'ed, but maybe the 6# to save an extra grand? when i think about it though it would probably be worth it to spend the extra grand to get 50 extra horses. my buddy said it took him an entire weekend to install his vortech, and that was with him and a buddy taking their time & making sure everything was the way it was suppost to be. any opinions on the best place to purchase the KB? i saw on their website that the 9# is 4800, but is that w/ everything i need included? i was also looking at mph and theirs which is listed at around 6,300, but are their any other places that sell kb SC'ers?

I'm doing my KB IC 9# install right now. I got EVERYTHING. I've been working on it for a month now for a total of ~25 hours. But I have a '98 and the instructions aren't real clear on a '98 so I've had to do many things over and over to make it all fit/work. In retrospect it's not that bad but the instructions for a full blown 1.7L 9# IC system can be a bit of a job. I'm down to my Boost-a-pump and chip. I figure by next weekend I should be fireing her up. Been a few road blocks but nothing too bad yet. BTW, $5,600 straight from KB. I don't think you can buy them anywhere else except their dealers who install them.

the98stang said:
You should be able to install the KB or vortech in a weekend as long as you have all the right tools.

Right... and you did a full blown KB? Extending wiring, replacing vacuum tubes, making things fit where they don't, adding pumps, resevoirs, boost a pumps... :rlaugh: Maybe if you don't sleep over the weekend. Or not your first install on a '98 and you're on speed. :rolleyes: Easily 400 steps...

i vouch for gdog. the install on a kb 1.7l on a 98 SUCKS!!!!:notnice: . it took me and my buddy two whole weekends to do on his ride and i am a full blown mechanic with tons of tools. they dont make anything easy on that install. my vortec on my 96 was done in less than one day. so if you are not totally skilled and dont have lots of tools i would rec. the vortec. that is only my expiriance though. i am sure others have had less troubles with there kb installs. maybe with other years? :SNSign:

Like I said, with the right tools, the right people, it CAN be done. Just gotta pull all nighter's and work hard.

But if you take your sweet time, make sure everything is PERFECT, it could take weeks. Depends on the person....:rolleyes:

GDawg said:
I'm doing my KB IC 9# install right now. I got EVERYTHING. I've been working on it for a month now for a total of ~25 hours. BTW, $5,600 straight from KB. I don't think you can buy them anywhere else except their dealers who install them.

P1SC just over half the price, intercooled, and took 10 hours (1 day) to install by myself.

KB is nice, but there are a lot of factors you have to put into place as well:

-Do you want constant tire shredding power at all times? (TwinScrew > Centri)
-How much $ you willing to spend? (TwinScrew > Centri)
-How mechanically experienced are you? (Centri > KB)
-How much HP are you looking to max at? (generally Centri's have higher # potentials)
-Is it a DD? Centri's are nice as DDs as long as you can keep your foot out of the hole.

Also, keep in mind you'll have to go direct through KB if you want to do the install. MPH's Mongoose kit CAN NOT be drop shipped which means you have to have them install it in Georgia.

Yea, I'm a little biased here, but you need to do a lot more reading before you make this decision. In the end, it's your car. :) My mongoose Vortech + all guages came to ~$4,500. I can get an i/c and potentially push my block to ~400rwhp and still have spent less and make just as much if not more power than the KB 1.7 guys. Yea, they will spank me light to light, but I don't street race so that doesn't bother me. ;)

i think i will be pretty much finished modding my car after i put a SC on it. ill probably end up doing headers too after that, but ill be more worried about upgrading the suspension after i put on the SC. i was just wanted a rough estimate of how much i would spend if i got the kb 9# IC supercharger altogether for parts. if it is around 5 or 6 grand i will start saving up for next summer, but if not i may look into the 6# or the centri's. i have a lot of buddies that could help me out for a weekend to install the SC so i probably wont take it to a shop to get done so i can save a grand. in plus i think it would be a good time to do it myself! so any rough estimates on how much they spent altogether on their SC and tune for the 9# and the 6#?

Figure $1,000 over the cost of the blower. Put into perspective guages, misc. parts, upgrades, etc. So the cost of the 9# KB kit is $5,800 so allow yourself near $7,000 for the entire thing said and done.

yeah i figured gauges would be a couple hundred, but what other money would i spend for misc parts & upgrades? would i have to go get my car dyno tuned or does kb provide a solid tune for the car? but that would only be around 4 or 500 dollars anyway. i was hoping to only spend around 5 to 6 grand for everything. if it is more than that ill either downgrade to the 6# or look into the vortech's and prochargers...