Intake ideas and clearance questions...

Ok this is a highly theoretical idea i am pursuing out of boredom (i am stuck at a computer for 12 hours a day since i am pulling Dispatch duty for the next 2 weeks) but bear with me on this. I wanna try to put a twin screw type supercharger on a 351W and have it look similar to the newer style blown stangs... I think this is possible with a decent bit of fabrication, which i can handle. Now the questions, first what is the distance linerally between the heads on a 351W? and secondly what is the maximum amount of height before i hit the stock hood? now so you understand a little better and dont automatically say its not possible, i am (in my minds rendering) using MPFI and the intake port for the bower comes out the rear and install a 180 elbow and run a cold air intake from the battery area since battery is in the truck... am i crazy or will this might possibly work and look really cool? i know its alot of work and probably difficult i think the result would be worth it for what it would look like and 30 pounds of boost into a 427W would be some insane power if i could hold it all together! feel free to tell me i am retarded or brilliant!:rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

no sense in re-inventing the wheel here. what you are looking for already exists. has for a long time actually.
Blowzilla Supercharger / Flowzilla Manifold

these bolt to a "stock type" lower intake manifold of a 5.0. already mpfi and 5.8 use the same upper manifold bolt pattern. they are designed to fit under a stock 5.0 hood as far as i know. that might be the only qualification of yours that these don't meet. we have less room in the early cars than the 5.0

Is there even an intake for that? If so you should be able to find out how tall it would be.

I have been through God knows how many google searches and parts searches on different site and forum searches on quiet a few forums and have found no mention, I even went so far as to email tech support at whipple (still waitin on a reply) but i have found no mention of this. That is why i wanna know the width between the heads and the overal vertical clearance of a 351W with normal motor mounts and a stock hood in a 66. so i can have an idea of the working space where i could fab up my own intake... its a lot of work but it would leave me a clean lookin engine bay if i could pull it off!

no sense in re-inventing the wheel here. what you are looking for already exists. has for a long time actually.
Blowzilla Supercharger / Flowzilla Manifold

these bolt to a "stock type" lower intake manifold of a 5.0. already mpfi and 5.8 use the same upper manifold bolt pattern. they are designed to fit under a stock 5.0 hood as far as i know. that might be the only qualification of yours that these don't meet. we have less room in the early cars than the 5.0

That is an option but what i am going for is the look of the new gt500s with the blower in the center of the motor and lower down to the motor. and to be frank i have never liked the whopsided look of the 5.0 and 5.8 style intakes those kits are based off of.

I wanna try to put a twin screw type supercharger on a 351W and have it look similar to the newer style blown stangs... :

Whipple and Kenne Belle are two manufacturers making twin screw blowers. Unfortunatlely, they do not make kits for a 351w. I corresponded with Kenne Bell on the matter and found you could fit a whipple to a 351w if you had EFI and the right lower intake manifold. I am informed that a correct intake would come off an F150 Lightning.

I am in the process of putting a 351W based stroker in my 65. On my block the distance between the heads at the narrowest point is 7 3/8". As to hood clearance I am sure it will depend on what motor mounts you are using 65 vs 66 vs aftermarket i.e. Ron Morris. I know that there are guys out there with Wieand Stealth intakes under stock hoods, they list the height of these as 4.37" at the front and 5.06" in the rear, obviously you have to add the height of carb an air cleaner to that. This sounds like an ambitious project to say the least, I have a blown 5.4 in my Harley truck and I took the supercharger/intercooler off once, it is a mighty tight fit in that engine...good luck

That is an option but what i am going for is the look of the new gt500s with the blower in the center of the motor and lower down to the motor. and to be frank i have never liked the whopsided look of the 5.0 and 5.8 style intakes those kits are based off of.

one problem you are going to run into is distributor clearance, unless you are going to run a distributorless ignition. if you want to run a distributor, then you need a blower like what B&M used on their ford kits where the blower drive snout was offset to the right side of the engine.

with a distributorless ignition the point is moot.

fabbing the intake isnt a problem.

Thanks!!

pmangelos~ Thank you so much for that info! it is an ambitious project but with the engineering background i have and the amount of time i have on my hands to think and work out the kinks before i get back home to try any of this i am confident i can tackle it at some point! and i agree that the motor mount will determin the hood clearance so i pose this question to the board, anyone got any idea what the maximum drop i can achieve on the motor mounts without running into clearance issues on the lower end? i am plannin on a TCP manual rack and pinion and a cable clutch on a 4 speed toploader...

rbohm~ I agree that the distributor is gonna be the biggest real issue (if i get it done and it dont fit under the hood a sawzall will easily fix that haha) I wasnt aware of a way to go distributorless on a 351W... can you enlighten me?:hail2:

EP429~ Thanks i am going to look into it! that is an interesting thing i hadnt considered... although in my lookings at the blowers i thought i might get away with out facing the distributor issue do to the offset of the input shaft but now that i really think about it and look at pictures it looks less like a possibility... anyone know of specific kits or whatnot to accomplish this crank trigger ignition system?