Intake manifolds

I have a 1986 302 5.0L engine that I am working on so I can swap it into my LX.I will want to (if not now,in the future) swap out the upper and lower intake manifolds for ones that flow more air.

Would the manifolds for an 87-93 5.0 fit on an 86 or not?It's easier to find parts (and they are cheaper) for those than the engines from 79-86.

• Sponsors (?)

90FRANKENSTANG said:
THE LOWERS ARE ALL THE SAME. IT'S THE "86" UPPER THAT SUCKS. FIND AN UPPER INTAKE FROM "87" ON UP AND LEAVE THE LOWER ALONE.

The lowers are the same, but actually, the lower intakes are much more restrictive than the upper. See the link in my signature for power gains from porting stock lower intakes.

On the same subject sorta, ;) Didn't want to start another thread although I'm still a bit lost being new to the fuel injected world :shrug: . I want to change my intake Cause it's ugly, was thinking of just sending it for powder coat or change it completely....every intake seems to gain HP but at a loss of low end. Since I'm in NY low end is everything to me.Coming off the light Tires blazing up :D till the next light about 100 ft away :doh: .....any suggestions....how is the Cobra set up?
Also I'm keeping the engine stock except for Cold air,Mac headers,H pipe and cat back. I figure no sense dumping money into an engine thats fine...if and when I blow it I'll order a crate already done out of the Box?? :shrug:

Take a look at the torque curves in my garage, torque is up all the way through the curves - you won't loose a thing, only gain. The unported Cobra/Explorer is also a good intake but you will loose some lower end with some upper end gains - my garage also has two dyno results with graphs of Rio5.0 who took off one of my ported lowers and put a Cobra on with no other changes. Also note that dyno comparison STARTS at 3,000 rpm, a properly ported intake has a bigger advantage the further down the rpm scale you go.

PM tmoss in the post above you. Getting one of his lowers will allow you to retain as much low end as possible without breaking your budget. What have you got for rear gears in your car....a set of 3.73's would help.

Yeah got the 3:73s. The car runs amazing now but I'm cleaning up the engine compartment and the plenum has to go. I liked the Comp Polymer intake cause its small (for looks and work space) but would gain upper at loss of lower...Edelbrock does the same ect ect alot of them give gains in the 2500rpm and up ranges but seem to all effect lower end....Trick flow has one rated for idle to 5500 which sounds perfect for me...anyone use it??? And still havent found any stats on the Cobra intakes????

Either a Cobra Intake or the regular Edelbrock Performer would be your next best bet. With a powerband starting at 2500rpm, my guess is that you were looking at the Performer RPM. The comp although light and compact will really kill your low end torque. You should be able to pick up any of them used. I personally think the Cobra is the nicest looking out of the bunch. Especially after it's been polished. :nice:

Yeah I agree the cobra is nicer in looks...have been leaning that way just needed the info....I do like the trick flow look also...heard or know anything about them?? Again thanks for the help thus far.

The trick flow will outflow the cobra in stock trim,I have a cobra with the upper/lower extrude honed and this thing rocks.But If I was buying another intake again and wanted peak power below 6000 RPM I would go with the TFS steet heat and Extrude hone it.