Intercooler Efficiency

• Sponsors (?)

This is a cool video, especially at the 2:00 mark

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqkHG9GuyiM#t=177

Yeah,...too bad that all cars equipped w/ an a2w intercooler just cant get a really, really long hose and keep it hooked to the house.
It stands to reason that in a closed loop system (like the one I have) the water circulating through the I/C will be doing good to stay at or slightly above ambient. From what I've read, that doesn't happen, and w/ an A2W I/C circulating water cooled by a separate radiator, or heat exchanger The intake charge will actually be hotter than a properly located A2A.

Now throw some ice water in a reservoir that runs through a closed loop system that gets changed out after each 1/4 mile exposure, and you've got something that can't be beat.

I always thought that was the main point in using A2W - Short duration for higher efficiency.

Yeah, and for a drag car (like the one you're building) it's the ticket. I bought mine (A2W)because I don't like the look of having that other big assed thing hanging under the bumper, and I didn't want to compromise engine cooling by putting it in front of the radiator, which already has a condenser in front of it, and a trans cooler in front of that.

There are plenty of factory new Fords running around w/ an A2W intercooler built-in as factory equipment, I'm just hoping my version does a better job, than that stupid little reservoir, and one loop heat exchanger did on the Cobra. I plan to run two little daisy chained radiators, each w/ it's own dedicated cooling fan, drawing water from a dedicated supply reservoir, located in a space that wont put it in front of my radiator, that will still get fresh air. I'm hoping all of that bull sh it will be worth the effort, and I'll get decent IAT temps out of it.

Last edited:
With ice we see IAT's near 60 degrees without they can be over 300. The a2w works good race setting and always packed with ice but a2a is my go to for street car. I can't get enough efficiency out of an a2a to make it work in my application

When i used my a2w setup on the street with the heat exchanger I didn't realize any engine cooling compromise and my IAT's were acceptable for the street tune. When my car became a full tilt drag car the front heat exchanger compromised intercooling in conjunction with the ice tank. Taking the heat exchanger off netted a decrease of 15 degrees IAT's on the dragstrip.