Interested in buying a Mustang

bigcanoe

Oct 20, 2008
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase my first Mustang! I am trying to decide which way to go though. This will be my only car. I need to comfortably commute 60 miles (total) a day, mostly highway. I love the look of the GT, but the practicality of the V6 is appealing too. Where can I read about the differences between the V6 and the GT, other than the engine? Both use regular gas right? How much difference is there in highway MPG?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I had a v6 loaner car when my gt was in the shop. Drive both is my advice but in my opinion the v6 car is like driving a 1982 honda civic by comparison. The handling is worse than my pest control ford truck and the gas mileage is worse.

There really isn't much of a differnece in the gas milage between the six and the GT. My GT has a CAI and tune and gets the same hwy milage as my parents v-6 vert. I haven't driven thier car but they have driven mine and as far as ride and confortthey prefer mine over thiers. Either is a nice car, just drive both and see what you like. Personally i can't see owning a 'stang with a six, but thats just me.

Drive both is my advice but in my opinion the v6 car is like driving a 1982 honda civic by comparison. The handling is worse than my pest control ford truck and the gas mileage is worse.
I've got an '08 GT and an '08 V6 in my driveway. I don't know where the hell you're coming from. For my money, the V6 is just as nice and has plenty of power unless you want to go to the track every weekend. I guess most people here live where there is no traffic and no police. :shrug:

I've got an '08 GT and an '08 V6 in my driveway. I don't know where the hell you're coming from. For my money, the V6 is just as nice and has plenty of power unless you want to go to the track every weekend. I guess most people here live where there is no traffic and no police. :shrug:

Same here, my girlfriend drives the 06 V6 every day. My 08 GT handles better, rides better, has more power, and they both get similarly the same mileage. However, I wouldn't quite say it's as big as difference as Scottfree would like to make you believe but there is a difference.

The other thing you will have to consider is insurance. It will more than likely be higher for the GT model...

That difference would probably be negligible, though. Especially if you're an experienced driver with a good traffic record.

To insure a GT for me would work out to about $86/mo, which is a few dollars more than my Honda Civic. A C6 Vette would be $95. I'm 23 with a speeding ticket in the last 12 months.

Same here, my girlfriend drives the 06 V6 every day. My 08 GT handles better, rides better, has more power, and they both get similarly the same mileage. However, I wouldn't quite say it's as big as difference as Scottfree would like to make you believe but there is a difference.

Hey Thump,
How's it going? I see you was a bad boy over on f150online. What happened?
You know me as RED WING NUT over there.

I suggest going for a GT. I test drove a rental 07 v6 and the mileage was lousy. Of course this was street driving in Los Angeles but I did do some highway miles on it. The mileage on a GT is not that much different. I have 11,000 miles on my GT (not broken in yet?) and I got 25 mph straight flat highway driving like an old lady 55-65 mph.

The v6 does have a good kick to it but I love the sound of an 8.

Hey Thump,
How's it going? I see you was a bad boy over on f150online. What happened?
You know me as RED WING NUT over there.

I'm good. What about you? Stealth didn't like a picture I posted, even though it didn't violate any rules, said it contained bad language even though it didn't. So I questioned him about it and the 3 day ban he gave me for it. Than, he banned me forever for insubordination. :rlaugh:

Either model will be ok depending on your tastes. If you just want the look and affordability go with the 6er. If you want to add the sound and the power go with the V8. Both can be modded to better suit your exterior/interior and performance tastes rather easily. Though I've never been in a new 6er, I can easily say, I love the sound of the V8 as well as the power when you stomp on the go pedal:rock:
I commute 62 miles round trip, go on 150+ mile round trips quite often in mine with not many issues at all. Sure I might have to adjust my seating position after an hour or so, but I always enjoy climbing behind the wheel:D My car has nearly 61K miles on it and most of the go fast mods have been there for almost 50K miles of those and the car has never been a problem:nice:

Good luck deciding on your Stang:flag:

I have my 07 GT and fiance's 07 v6 in the driveway. The v6 with 5speed manual is a nice all around car. In real world driving the speed is not that much of a difference. Here are pros of each:

v6 pros:
1-2mpg better fuel mileage
lower initial cost
a little lower insurance cost

v8 pros:
faster at drag strip
sounds better
better resale
a little better handling and braking

I am a big fan of v6 mustangs. They are great commuter cars and decent budget sports cars. I had an 01 v6 w/ manual tranny and I loved it. On the flip side, I now have a v8 and I really like the extra power and sound. The bottom line is that it is up to you to decide. Drive both and see how you like them. I wouldn't let the whole v6 mustang stigma affect your decision.

I drive my lightly modded 5-speed '07 GT to work 45 miles each way. Most of it is on the highway.

I average ~24-25mpg over the entire tank (which does include some inner-city driving). The ride is great, it's comfortable, and fun as hell.

I've driven an Auto V6 and it just did not feel the same, in a lot of ways.

Go with the GT, you will never ever regret it.

Yup, full coverage.

I got a quote for a Porsche 911 about a month ago and it was only $96. :D

What insurance company is this? I'm 23 with a perfect driving record and great credit, and I pay about 125/mo for full coverage through Allstate.

As a frame of reference regarding insurance, I was paying $99/mo for my 2000 V6 and it only went up $25 for a brand new V8 mustang.

I often drive rental V6 Mustangs and I think its night and day between my GT and the V6. The smoothness of acceleration alone makes the GT worth it to me. Whatever you do, I recommend getting all of the interior upgrade options or it will feel VERY cheap.

What insurance company is this? I'm 23 with a perfect driving record and great credit, and I pay about 125/mo for full coverage through Allstate.

As a frame of reference regarding insurance, I was paying $99/mo for my 2000 V6 and it only went up $25 for a brand new V8 mustang.

I often drive rental V6 Mustangs and I think its night and day between my GT and the V6. The smoothness of acceleration alone makes the GT worth it to me. Whatever you do, I recommend getting all of the interior upgrade options or it will feel VERY cheap.

USAA. That might have something to do with it, granted my fiancée only pays about $90 for her Focus through Geico.