Interesting notes in how newer cars take time to adjust to new mods- dyno results

DHGBullitt4.6 said:
Oh man I cant believe you idiots believe this guy. He probably works for magnaflow. Hey magnaflow dude stop posting all this BS. There is seriously something wrong with that dyno. How can it go from a 10rwhp gain to a 23rwhp gain in a few minutes? Only 23rwhp? ahahhahahahha. Put a densecharger on an 03 cobra and you get 25rwhp. Dont waste my time. Where's the results on a regular 2v? Seems like you should have posted those awhile back, but they never appeared. Pretty convenient. Later.

You are an idiot

Later

• Sponsors (?)

DHGBullitt4.6 said:
Oh man I cant believe you idiots believe this guy. He probably works for magnaflow. Hey magnaflow dude stop posting all this BS. There is seriously something wrong with that dyno. How can it go from a 10rwhp gain to a 23rwhp gain in a few minutes? Only 23rwhp? ahahhahahahha. Put a densecharger on an 03 cobra and you get 25rwhp. Dont waste my time. Where's the results on a regular 2v? Seems like you should have posted those awhile back, but they never appeared. Pretty convenient. Later.

I thought this guy got banned for using 2 names? :rlaugh:

Roger Ramjet said:
I've seen that happen when the oil temp wasn't up for the first pulls. What I really suspect is that the dyno HP correction factor was changing - the temp pickup for the dyno was seeing increasingly higher temps but the air to the engine was not.

Actually before the first dyno, for the baseline, we made sure to get the car nice and hot, we did this by warming the car up, and then running the car on the dyno 3 times before doing the final test to get the baseline numbers...

What you are saying is true, along with the gear oil in the rear end will also heat up as well increasing dyno numbers, so there are quite a few factors we were sure to look at.

The 03 Cobra has a VERY restrictive exhaust, we actually cut open a stock muffler, and the exhaust is only 2" through the muffler, which would explain the big gains with a catback

Before we did the first measured dyno run after the install, we also did 3 runs as well to get the oil and fluids nice and hot.....

The gains are one thing, but I though it was interesting to see how many runs it takes for a car to fully adjust.

It really makes me think about all the dyno comparisons I see, where they throw on a couple of different parts and dyno test them all....

I wonder how fair all dyno tests really are when they are not taking the time to do all of these dyno runs.....

god damn, does the two valve even gain 5 rwhp from a cat back? i have to keep my gt now that im into it, but that is insane. i want a cobra, but refuse to waste the money on the trade.

I love my Magnaflows and recommend them to everyone I talk to. As for dyno changes, on my last trip to the dyno, my first pull was 385hp and three pulls later(with no tuning) I pulled a 413hp so the numbers can dramatically change between pulls, DHGBullit. GNN60GT500, keep producing these high quality products!!!!

SmithAtlanta said:
..........on my last trip to the dyno, my first pull was 385hp and three pulls later (with no tuning) I pulled a 413hp so the numbers can dramatically change between pulls..........

Suggest that you get a weather station and start doing your own HP corrections on the dyno and the track. I think your dyno operator is blowing smoke to get your $$.

Check this out: http://www.computechracing.com/drsystem.html

Roger Ramjet said:
Suggest that you get a weather station and start doing your own HP corrections on the dyno and the track. I think your dyno operator is blowing smoke to get your $$.

I trust my dyno operator. He's one of the most reliable guys in town but he could care less what my car made. His business is dynoing cars, not inflating egos....
He was surprised, though.... :)

The dynos were done about 5-10 minutes apart and I really believe it just took the computer a couple of cycles to adjust to the new settings. I went from a basic vortech steeda tune to an intercooled setup with the steeda tune. I wouldn't expect the same differences with only the addition of a cool air kit on a stock gt. :)

Dynowise, I would like to get the car on a Mustang Dyno to get a true dyno with load. The Dynojet Dyno's have a static load which typically inflates numbers a little.

I do agree with you about the weather station at the track for corrections, though. I'm going to get one of those next year.

Roger Ramjet said:

Its called adaptive strategy..The Steeda cars adds timing if inlet temps drop.If inlet temps are above 150degress the car pulls 4 degress out.Hence the major HP drop.Car cools down,temps go below 150 degress inlet it adds the timing back..

FWIW we saw a 38rwhp gain on an 03 cobra by bolting on a Borla catback and a few degrees of timing.

The car gaining power as it makes pulls is not uncommon.The 03 cobra has an adaptive strategy built in from the factory.Also,just because the car is hot doesn't mean its gone into the right tables.If the car was shut off it reverts back.You need to have a scanner in hand to make sure it switches between open loop and closed loop before dynoing the car..If its in the wrong table,the car will dyno lower..Usually takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to get it to switch.
96-98's take freakin forever for them to switch.

Tim

cobra killer said:
Its called adaptive strategy..The Steeda cars adds timing if inlet temps drop.If inlet temps are above 150degress the car pulls 4 degress out.Hence the major HP drop.Car cools down,temps go below 150 degress inlet it adds the timing back..

FWIW we saw a 38rwhp gain on an 03 cobra by bolting on a Borla catback and a few degrees of timing.

The car gaining power as it makes pulls is not uncommon.The 03 cobra has an adaptive strategy built in from the factory.Also,just because the car is hot doesn't mean its gone into the right tables.If the car was shut off it reverts back.You need to have a scanner in hand to make sure it switches between open loop and closed loop before dynoing the car..If its in the wrong table,the car will dyno lower..Usually takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to get it to switch.

Tim
I want to make it clear.... Cobra Killer is not the dyno operator. He does want my car to make good numbers. :)

The dyno operator is http://www.dynolab.net for reference.

cobra killer said:
You need to have a scanner in hand to make sure it switches between open loop and closed loop before dynoing the car..If its in the wrong table,the car will dyno lower..Usually takes 30 seconds to 1 minute to get it to switch.

Tim

Definitely....another thing we check for, we also check inlet air temperatures as well, to make sure everything is fair as well....

We have played around with the timing a bit as well, as we have now teamed up and are working together with Diablo.....and the Cobras do love the bump intiming as well.....makes me want to buy one seeing all of this easy hp

(We all ready have a performance package for the PowerStroke with parts by Magnaflow, Diablo, and K&N-----we have all ready decided we are going to make a package for the Mustang next!)

Why not take the experts from each area and form a package at a discount to the consumer? Hopefully it will do as well as we think it will.....