Is It Possible To Havestock Mustang Pistons With Stroker Crank?

fiveohlover

Oct 13, 2011
mn
i recently blew up my 347 stroker motor. I have over haul the motor and get a new block. The crank and rods are good i believe in the motor. My dad has a healthy 1988 302 with original pistons and rings in it. Is it possible to put my crank and rods in this other 302 and use the same pistons with new rings or do i have to go buy stroker pistons and other parts?

• Sponsors (?)

i recently blew up my 347 stroker motor. I have over haul the motor and get a new block. The crank and rods are good i believe in the motor. My dad has a healthy 1988 302 with original pistons and rings in it. Is it possible to put my crank and rods in this other 302 and use the same pistons with new rings or do i have to go buy stroker pistons and other parts?

Yeah,...it's possible......as long as you don't mind having the piston hang a mile out of the block.

347 stroker combinations have an altered pin height that raises it significantly towards the ring lands to accommodate the longer rod that comes w/ a stroker kit. A stock 302 piston would have a much lower pin.

Additionally,. a stroker could have a special piston pin diameter that is standard in the industry for SBC, NOT SBF...The small end of your stroker connecting rod would be "sized" to provide for that pin.

Evidently,..you bought the engine "that way" or you would also know that the bottom of each cylinder has been notched for the conn rods to clear the longer stroke of the crank,..with out such clearancing would not allow the entire assy to spin.

So,...long story short...

No, you cannot use your recip assy w/ a stock piston.

** Edit...What "blew up" in your old engine that trashed the block,..where you still have good rods?

Typically, a connecting rod related failure is responsible for damaging the block beyond repair. Did the block break in the lifter valley?

Last edited: