is it possible to install oil pump shaft from distributor hole?

85cleangtvert

May 19, 2005
is it possible to install an oil pump shaft from the dizzy hole? i had a problem a while back... just had the oil pan down and accessable . i put the shaft in because it came out when i took my distributor out, but i guess i didnt get the clip all the way back on / or the shaft snapped in half... because i put it all back together and it is clacking... i took the distributor out and heard it/part of it fall in the pan... now here is my question... can i install a new oil pump shaft from the top? and is it ok to have the old shaft in the pan?... i really dont want to take everything apart again right now, i just want my car to run. it is a beater anyway so i dont really care about if it is done right or whatever...if it can drive i can live with it... i just want it to run and sound good again and i cant really afford to have it down again and dont want to fix it again right now... can i just epoxy or jb weld or even weld a new shaft to the bottom of the distibutor and install it like that?? it wouldnt fall out when you take the dizzy out and you wouldnt have to deal with that annoying clip... and best of all i wouldnt have to take off the pan and mess up my fresh new silicone seal... someone let me know if it can be done like that or if any of you have done that... and yes i know it sucks a great deal but i just want to get it running again! :D

• Sponsors (?)

is it possible to install an oil pump shaft from the dizzy hole? i had a problem a while back... just had the oil pan down and accessable . i put the shaft in because it came out when i took my distributor out, but i guess i didnt get the clip all the way back on / or the shaft snapped in half... because i put it all back together and it is clacking... i took the distributor out and heard it/part of it fall in the pan... now here is my question... can i install a new oil pump shaft from the top? and is it ok to have the old shaft in the pan?... i really dont want to take everything apart again right now, i just want my car to run. it is a beater anyway so i dont really care about if it is done right or whatever...if it can drive i can live with it... i just want it to run and sound good again and i cant really afford to have it down again and dont want to fix it again right now... can i just epoxy or jb weld or even weld a new shaft to the bottom of the distibutor and install it like that?? it wouldnt fall out when you take the dizzy out and you wouldnt have to deal with that annoying clip... and best of all i wouldnt have to take off the pan and mess up my fresh new silicone seal... someone let me know if it can be done like that or if any of you have done that... and yes i know it sucks a great deal but i just want to get it running again! :D
pull the pan!!!!!!i wouldnt want a shaft wandering around in the pan .

pull the pan!!!!!!i wouldnt want a shaft wandering around in the pan .

yes or no, will it / can it hurt the engine car for the shaft to be in the pan? i think i may push the car off a cliff before i pull the pan again... jk... but seriously... i dont have OCD, i dont need everything perfect, i dont care if there is something in the oil pan just as long as its not going to hurt my motor... if it will do something to my motor, no prob, i will take the pan back off... if i can leave it... im leaving it... i dont want to know what you guys would do, i just want to know...

can i leave the shaft in there? and can i install one from the top by say, attaching the shaft to the distributor permanantly/semi perminantly...

if you tell me no, i might prove you wrong...

i dont care about wrecking a new oil pump shaft / stock distributor if it will get my car running again... i can do it correctly somewhere down the line when the engine is out or more accessable...

is this a joke? yeah it's fine to have half of the pump shaft in the pan, until you hit a bump and it goes flying up into your rotating assembly and toasts your motor. it sucks, but undo the mounts, jack up the motor and pull the pan. all it's gonna cost you is an evening, some oil and an oil pan gasket.

this is why im asking... i think it is the whole shaft and not in pieces... it fell out cuz the clip fell down some... im not going to say that it couldnt go into the motor, but do you guys really think that the full shaft, submerged in oil all the way to the back of the pan would really be able to get into the motor when i can barely even get it with a long pointer magnet... have any of you ever drove around with a shaft in the pan and what were the results...i will fish the damn thing out with the magnet before i pull this pan again!!!:fuss: :D

this is why im asking... i think it is the whole shaft and not in pieces... it fell out cuz the clip fell down some... im not going to say that it couldnt go into the motor, but do you guys really think that the full shaft, submerged in oil all the way to the back of the pan would really be able to get into the motor when i can barely even get it with a long pointer magnet... have any of you ever drove around with a shaft in the pan and what were the results...i will fish the damn thing out with the magnet before i pull this pan again!!!:fuss: :D

haha for sure atleast fish it out. i wouldn't leave that in there no matter what man. think about it, when you're driving around, a lot of the oil is being circulated throughout the motor and when you're going around corners/curves, it sloshes around. it definitely gets up into the crank assembly, hence the invention of windage trays. whats to keep that shaft from doing the same? do what you will but i would definitely get it out.

i dont think i can get the shaft out from the dizzy hole anymore because it fell to the back of the pan. i am going to drain the oil and try to get it out the drain hole, if i cant do that , what do you think about some strong magnets on the outside of the pan to keep the shaft at the back...? wow this is gettin out there... fun info. for lazy mustang owners...:nice:

I did that in my old mustang. That is why i dont have it anymore. Listen to the boyz and get that out. I dont drive rough and i blew my motor up cause i decided to be lazy like u lol. Heres a perfect plan. Get a six pack of beer and a buddy, start at about noon and be done with it a few hours later.

I did that in my old mustang. That is why i dont have it anymore. Listen to the boyz and get that out. I dont drive rough and i blew my motor up cause i decided to be lazy like u lol. Heres a perfect plan. Get a six pack of beer and a buddy, start at about noon and be done with it a few hours later.

I had the same thing happen to me and took the same approach. Definitely the best solution.

Magnets are your friend.

Get a decent magnet, drain the oil first.

Use the magnet to locate the shaft by dragging it along the bottom side of the pan( you will hear it being dragged around once you go under it) Try and move it to the front of pan as far as you can. Then buy a flexible good magnet. They can get a little spendy. Put it through the disty hole and see if you can get it from there. If you can't, try to put the flexible magnet through one of the drain holes and make it do a 90* into the pan. There are a few things you can try before pulling the pan but they can take awhile, like I said with the magnet, get one with a small round end. Don't cheap or else the magnet will not be strong enough to pull the shaft around, make sure it has a very strong attraction.

If all else fails, pull the pan.

Drop the pan or your next posts will be asking for advice on how to rebuild your motor. Even the silly clip on the shaft is enough to totally screw up your motor, drop the pan and replace the thing with a billet one(20 bucks or so) and use a one piece oil pan gasket when you re-install(another 25 or so), less than 50 for piece of mind? thats a bargain. OK maybe a little over when you replace oil filter and oil.

Matt

what if you got a large magnet to grab the shaft to hold it in place? I know pull the pan but in a pinch maybe pulling it to the side of the pan at least he can drive it until he can find time to pull the pan.

Putting a magnet on the outside of a steel oil pan isn't going to be effective. The magetism is a lot like electricity, it flows through the closest path, or path of least resistance. In this case putting a magnet on the outside of the steel pan completes the magnetic circuit. There will be no magnetism inside the oil pan to attract anything

Edit: OOOPS - I was wrong about that - how well a magnet attracts steel through a steel sheet or oil pan is very much a function of the magnet strength. I tried it with the magnetic base from my dial indicator stand, a 50 lb pull magnet. It would hold a #2 phillips screwdriver in place once the screwdriver was placed up against the metal where the magnet was stuck.

oil pan is off... shaft is out of the pan and back where its supposed to be. i put the washer where it is supposed to be. the distributor is back on. the silicone seal is tacking up right now and pan is about to be bolted back on... never did get the pan out but thats ok, this car has had the old gasket siliconed many times in the front and works good enough...

btw i dont think that the shaft would have gone into the motor... it was all the way stuck at the back i could barely get it out with my hand...

getting the shaft back in there correctly made it all worth it... when i get it running its going straight to the intersection and ima let these weak tread ass 10 hole tires have it... its been a long time coming...:SNSign:

oil pan is off... shaft is out of the pan and back where its supposed to be. i put the washer where it is supposed to be. the distributor is back on. the silicone seal is tacking up right now and pan is about to be bolted back on... never did get the pan out but thats ok, this car has had the old gasket siliconed many times in the front and works good enough...

btw i dont think that the shaft would have gone into the motor... it was all the way stuck at the back i could barely get it out with my hand...

getting the shaft back in there correctly made it all worth it... when i get it running its going straight to the intersection and ima let these weak tread ass 10 hole tires have it... its been a long time coming...:SNSign:

there you go man, glad to see you got it solved! let us know how she runs!

when i started it, it was kinda making noise... but definitely not like it was without the shaft in it... i figured it was the washer on the shaft hitting the block because it was too far up... took it on a little ride and no more noise... YES! damn i missed driving this car!!!! runs great! well as well as it ever did... still has some issues like the speedo doesnt work and it always dies on me at a stop light if i sit there for too long... oh well this car isnt for idling! thanks for talking me into fixing it correctly