is it worth gettin it back?

torch93

Aug 14, 2010
bakersfield c.a
hey guys ive been reading ALOT of threads and one of the threads i keep running into is when people are trying to buy a 5.0, talking about looking for the vin number on the windows, now i never paid close attention to mine because i didnt think it would have any original windows and i just found out about the vins on the windows last year.. now ive gone and checked all my windows! and all of em have the vin, so i guess they r original, i have the moon roof but i didnt see the vin anywhere, but i have a spare that came with the car in storage, ok and when i had my car painted i had a extra hatch with window that was in better shape than mine, and gave my other hatch with my original window with vin to a buddy:bang:.. ok so lemme stop talking alot and jus say is it worth getting my window back? cause i can, just need to pay someone to switch em..

sorry for the long question:nonono:, ill work on just gettin to the point

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, unless you are trying to restore a car to 100% original condition, I wouldn't worry much about original glass on the car. Windshields and windows get broken all the time for one reason or another. To me personally, having replaced windows wouldn't take away from the value of the car. Also, just because the VIN is on the windows doesn't mean they are original. A pervious owner could have had the widows etched as an added measure of security.

Honestly, unless you are trying to restore a car to 100% original condition, I wouldn't worry much about original glass on the car. Windshields and windows get broken all the time for one reason or another. To me personally, having replaced windows wouldn't take away from the value of the car. Also, just because the VIN is on the windows doesn't mean they are original. A pervious owner could have had the widows etched as an added measure of security.

+1 -- the vin was put in a lot of places on cars in those years to try to combat car theft and chop shops. cops find you with vin#'s off of a stolen car you gots some splaining to do. Remember the club device? seems like it came out in that era also.

I do have VIN's on my body panels. Off the top of my head, there is one on one of my friend fenders and my hatch. All i've cared to look for.

Also, under the driver's fender is a plate with a partial VIN stamped on it.

Also, the engine block under the lower intake has a partial VIN...so it is possible to have a matchning number engine to car setup.

None exists on the trans AFAIK

Now that I think about it, you may be right Mike. Window etching was always offered as an option on new cars and still is a (ripoff) option today.

The dealer i bought my truck from tried to charge me 200+ dollars for a vin etch and they said it was a manditory fee, i told them i didnt want it because my insurance company does it for free, they said nothing they could do i have to pay it. I said fine, i dont want the truck. They waved the fee, and what do you know the truck already had the VIN etched on the window. The truck was bought new from that dealer, so they already made money on that once and they wanted to bang someone again for it