Is it worth it for me?

d98gt

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
SE Texas
I'm looking to get a few baseline runs in on a dyno, that way I can somewhat document my upcoming mods, as I plan on running again afterwards. I've found a place that isn't too distant from me that charges $75 for 3 pulls (an extra $10 for a/f so I have to include that). The only downside that worries me is that it's a eddy current dyno so I need some opinions on that.

Should I look for another dyno source (dynojet for example) or would it be best to get the runs done on a system such as this one. I realize my numbers will be lower, but how much exactly are we talking here? I've seen that many many stock/near stock 96-98s put down in the 185-205 range depending on mods, however I wonder what that would be on this dyno. Anyone know how much of a difference I should expect? :shrug:

Apparently rates here in the Houston area have went up lately. It was once $50 for the pulls, though the few quotes from others have all pretty much been in the $75 range.:notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Sure, go for it. I think its cool to get dyno runs in between all your mods, so you know exactly how much each of your mods affect the power, rather than guessing. In the big picture, it doesn't matter, but its kinda cool to know. If you can afford it, go for it.

Well the eddy current part is somewhat concerning me. Is this going to show the ACTUAL power of my car/improvements better, or should I just go with dynojet in the first place? It'd be pointless for me to do my baseline on a mustang dyno, then switch over on the next as I won't exactly know the difference :rlaugh:

Anyone actually have any runs on a mustang dyno compared to another? :shrug:

That's what I figured, I'd much rather get the numbers on a dynojet just so I can see if my car is where it needs to be. Guess I'll be sending out quite a few more emails :nice:

If only there was an upcoming dyno day so I could get my pulls for $50 :( :rlaugh: I just noticed that Strictly charges $70 for 2 runs with wideband which isn't too bad. $50 if I go without, though I imagine it'd be best to go ahead and see where the car stands when it comes to that. Might need to do some tweaking with the programmer.

This is where you PI guys laugh at us poor NPI guys. If I put down 200---I will be happy however this is just going to be a guideline. Within 3 weeks after this dyno, I will be there yet again getting new numbers with the PI cams and the PI intake.

Man thats high, here in Austin most people do it fo $50 bucks for 3 pulls AND a/f ratio. These places come recommended and out of four of the places i think two have dynojets and the others have mustang dynos.

Well hopefully i'll soon have an idea of where I stand with my wimpy little 4r70w ;)

I have a few things I am going to do before I get it done, though it won't be too terribly long. Have plans for this weekend, so hopefully the weekend after :)

Friend of mine just put down 200RWHP a few weeks ago...he dynod just after me @ Maxwell. All he has is an O/R X pipe and some no name fenderwell CAI...around 100K to boot I believe. M5.

Seems like you should put down 190ish :shrug:

I actually don't have all of my little mods listed, however I should be around 200 hopefully. I have something coming in the mail soon, so within the next 2 weeks, I plan on getting the dyno with the a/f to make sure the car is running great but yet safe at the same time.

I believe I am going to go with Strictly Performance, though nothing is set in stone as of right now.

What did the car throw down on the dyno? If I put up 200 on my first pull, then I will be satisfied. I have to dial my a/f in on my second run as it'll be the more important pull.