Is Magnaflow the quietest exhaust?

• Sponsors (?)

Everyone is pretty much right on with our systems. They are fairly mellow until you really step on it (aside from Magnapacks). The mufflers will get a bit throatier after they break in between 500-1000 miles or so.

+1 on getting louder after breaking in. They sound better as well.

My only complaint with Magnaflow is that the drone under load at 2k is annoying and the pipes, especially at the hangers, themselves seem to be getting more rust than I would have expected.

Here are two files, one of an analysis of my Magnaflow systems sound after recording a short trip under load. I tried to keep the car at 2k RPM to aggravate the drone.

The other is a pic of my 1 year old Magnaflow system rusting.
The 5 year old (2003 GT) stock system which is laying outside in my yard for a year, through a Northeast winter, actually looks better.

Attachments

• without bass.jpg
    without bass.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 114
  • mag1.jpg
    mag1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 129
The regular Magnaflow catback exhaust is just alittle louder
than the stock catback but has a nice mellow tone to them.
Personaly I think they sound great and would be a perfect
choice if you are looking for a quiet exhaust.
The stainless steel construction of this exhaust is of excellent
quality and will last a very long time without rusting on you.

In my sig is exactly the video you want to look at to see the difference before and after the xpipe install, i would never go back if you ask me. However people can hear me from blocks away too

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the regular catback is straight through design too(well it curves for the offset of the mufffler). So you can count on the most flow whenever you open up all the exhuast.

By the way, I just ordered the catted-x for the Mach. Vid to follow soon...

I had this same goal in mind when putting my exhaust together for my Cougar and this is what I've found.

I would say the Dynomax super turbo mufflers are the quietest of the bunch. Sound like stock IMO. I've got a three muffler Magnaflow set up with two high flow cats on my car and although it's faily docile at idle and low RPM cruisihg, it's still not "quiet" by any means...especially when you stand on it. Borla XL's are also a pretty even tempered muffler.

The regular Magnaflow catback exhaust is just alittle louder
than the stock catback but has a nice mellow tone to them.
Personaly I think they sound great and would be a perfect
choice if you are looking for a quiet exhaust.
The stainless steel construction of this exhaust is of excellent
quality and will last a very long time without rusting on you.

They sound great but I disagree with you on the rust.
See my last post.
That pic is after one year on the car.

The mufflers themselves are still perfect and nice and shiny, but the pipes and hangers, well you can see for yourself.

Look at the picture I posted.

That is after one year, almost to the day.....

Let me try to clear up some things in regards to rusting. What you are experiencing is surface rust which is not detrimental to the system’s integrity. Surface rust usually occurs in excessive humid or wet conditions and particularly in areas where the roads are salted. This can be easily cleaned off with a scouring pad or a Scotch Brite sponge with soap and water. Stainless will not rust through however stainless is still susceptible to surface rust due to its physical properties. The system does carry a lifetime warranty against being rusted through.

I know this is an old thread, but I used it when i made my decision to go with magnaflow this week. the car is so quiet I didn't know it was running when I first got in it. i'll miss my old mufflers that didn't connect to the tail pipes because they were so rusty, but I am very impressed with magnaflow's power, sound and professionalism.

One note is that the tips are a little big for my taste.