is this oil? pic inside..

88mustangGT

Apr 6, 2003
this is after installing my lower intake that i ported, ive been fiddling around all week trying to get it to run correctly.

well today i noticed a leak from the heater hose in the back. so i drained my radiator and ran the hose threw it for a while, and then i took my upper off. after getting everything back together i filled up my radiator and ran the car getting air out of it and all tht crap. then it started to turn brown turned brown. im assuming this is oil from the lower intake not sealing correctly. am i correct? how bad is this? is it gona kill anything if i drive it one or 2 times.

http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20083&stc=1

Attachments

• brown.JPG
    brown.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Sponsors (?)

Nah, don't think you will ruin anything. Depending on how cold it it where you are, and what your thermostat is running at, water may never circulate if you just have your car running in the driveway. On the otherhand, the tstat may be stuck, and if you are extra paranoid like me, I would nip a potential problem in the bud and change the tstat.

Also, unless you take out the thermostat and THEN flush the radiator and block, that crappy brown stuff is pretty hard to flush out, IMO.

"also i havnt been able to get athe upper hose to build up much pressure i can collapse it with my hand"

It really doesn't look like oil in your coolant, but it looks like dirty coolant to me.

How long did you run the car, when the thermostat is closed, the upper hose will collapse. Once the T-stat opens, the upper hose will be hard. It can take up to 10 minutes for the T-stat to open if it is cold out.

When you have oil in the coolant it is not only brown, but it is slimy, kinda of like a milk shake. If the coolant is not slimy it is probably just crud out of your cooling system. Flush it again with some stuff from the parts store, drain it and add a 50/50 coolant water mix to it. Run it and see where you are at. Also if you are losing coolant into your oil, your oil will look different, check your dipstick and see where you are at.

I wouldn't drive it till I knew what was up with it. If you have coolant in your oil you can easily wipe your bearings.

Finally from swapping your intake, you are not going to get oil into your coolant, you are going to get coolant into your oil. This is because there is no oil running through your intake. But there is coolant running through your intake, so it would leak out your water jackets from the intake and drop into the cylinders putting coolant into your oil.

Mario

well i saw my tstat open, saw the temp just fall to 180.

i drained the radiator last weekend for the first time sence i bought the car and it was so dirty. so it had fresh water in it runing all week. then drained it and then just ran the hose threw the radiatior for a good 5-10 min today. then filled it up and left the car runing with the hose trickeling into it. then all the suddenly it turned brown and was fomey, then it started spiting up alot and then the level fell. oh and buy the way it was 90 out today i accualy had to bust out a fan. haha to the people that cant do 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' cause its to cold.

another pooper is i have no dipstick, during long tube install i couldnt get the dip back in and it broke. so the only way to check the oil is drain it, if i just drained a little bit from the bottom would that be sine enough or does the water float on the oil? or is it the other way around?

88mustangGT said:
so the only way to check the oil is drain it, if i just drained a little bit from the bottom would that be sine enough or does the water float on the oil? or is it the other way around?

I also tend to think you just have rusty crap in your water, not oil. So you know if you drain some oil, water is denser than engine oil so it will sink to the bottom of your pan. Likewise, if there is oil in your coolant, the oil will float to the top and leave a greasy film.

And get a dipstick homey.

88mustangGT said:
word to the dipstick but how do you get them in there.

so in theory the water would come out before the oil if i crack open the drain plug.

You could take a torch and carefully bend the tube until it clears. Dont do any crazy shapes or anything because the more twists it has the less accurate it will be.

Not in theory, in reality. The only exception is if the oil and water are whipped up into the aforementioned milkshake. If there is a problem, you'll either get water before oil or just gray muck. Most likely you'll get nice amber oil, though.