Is this supercharger any good??

• Sponsors (?)

That Powerdyne blower is known for it's quiet operation due to an internal belt drive rather than gears like on a Vortech, Procharger or Paxton centrifugal system. The problem with it is there is no intercooler included and I don't think they even offer one. When air is compressed and forced from a blower it gets very hot and needs a cooler to reduce the air charge temperature, especially with these new stangs. The cooler the charge, the less chance of detonation which will kill your engine. That's not to say that you wouldn't be fairly safe at that hp level, but with the hotter air charge it's like running the engine at an additional 100 hp than the kit advertises.

That corregated air inlet tube looks like a POS too. You want a smooth passage for the air, not that thing. Adding an intercooler to a centrifugal usually adds about a grand to the price.

I don't know about you, but if I'm spending three grand already I better get more than the advertised 99 horsepower. I think I would be wishing later on that I spent another two grand and got more for my money. Just my 2 cents.

That Powerdyne blower is known for it's quiet operation due to an internal belt drive rather than gears like on a Vortech, Procharger or Paxton centrifugal system. The problem with it is there is no intercooler included and I don't think they even offer one. When air is compressed and forced from a blower it gets very hot and needs a cooler to reduce the air charge temperature, especially with these new stangs. The cooler the charge, the less chance of detonation which will kill your engine. That's not to say that you wouldn't be fairly safe at that hp level, but with the hotter air charge it's like running the engine at an additional 100 hp than the kit advertises.

That corregated air inlet tube looks like a POS too. You want a smooth passage for the air, not that thing. Adding an intercooler to a centrifugal usually adds about a grand to the price.

If you read the auction it does not come with the currugated inlet tube, there is a molded one as it shows in the first pictuer.

That being said neither the base vortech or Paxton kits come with intercoolers either. You could have one fabbed up or buy an aftermarket one just like with any other kit. The only kit that does come with the intercooler in the base kit is the Procharger because it needs it, as it runs hotter being self contained oiling.

Can I suggest some OBX headers to add to that supercharger.......stay away from both.

Says the guy with a MAC axle back, the OBX of the mustang world :) j/k

Have you had any experience with powerdyne? If not they how can you post a comment bascially equating that blower with a cheap quality product.

Powerdyne has been around along time and are a fine product. It wont get ya the huge power of a Novi when pushed to alot of boost, but its good for what it is and its a quality piece.

You are way wrong on the Procharger running hotter because it's self contained. A recent magazine article tested both the Vortech and Procharger for internal temperatures (in the head unit) and the Procharger was averaging twenty some degrees lower temps and only came close to the Vortech's temps at idle speed, so watch what you tell people on the threads as it's bad information. The Procharger comes with the intercooler because they charge about $1000 extra for it and all blown '05 up stangs should have one for certain.

Not trying to bust your chops here, just the facts.

You are way wrong on the Procharger running hotter because it's self contained. A recent magazine article tested both the Vortech and Procharger for internal temperatures (in the head unit) and the Procharger was averaging twenty some degrees lower temps and only came close to the Vortech's temps at idle speed, so watch what you tell people on the threads as it's bad information. The Procharger comes with the intercooler because they charge about $1000 extra for it and all blown '05 up stangs should have one for certain.

Not trying to bust your chops here, just the facts.

I would like to read that article. I am just going by everything I have read and heard from not only these forums but tuners as well.

I don't know about you, but if I'm spending three grand already I better get more than the advertised 99 horsepower. I think I would be wishing later on that I spent another two grand and got more for my money. Just my 2 cents.

Did I see $2600 as a Buy It Now? If you're getting 99hp for $2600, compared to 115hp for $5K+ for some of the units out there, this sounds like a steal!

If this is a solid product, from a reputable company (and, from the above comments, this sounds like the case) and you're looking for a nice kick, without going overboard on tranny stress, etc, then this would appear to be a great piece of kit, no?

:EDIT: just saw that the $2600 was for the tuner kit...

I would like to read that article. I am just going by everything I have read and heard from not only these forums but tuners as well.

There's a lot of bs out there you know? I mean, if you think about it the Procharger is just a gear box spinning in it's own oil. The only heat generated is from the friction of the gears and bearings and some heat from the compressed air charge. The others have super heated engine oil running through them in addition to the heat that's generated by the blower itself. The Procharger uses about a zero weight synthetic oil which also reduces friction compared to the hot engine oil in other centrifugal blowers.

I'll try to find the article and post a copy or more info from it.

Please correct me if I am wrong - of the superchargers I have actually seen , the PAXTON has its own oil lines and oil coolers where as the Vortech runs off engine oil. As far as the Powerdyne - NO oil lines.

Here's the article where they show the Procharger runs anywhere from 20-40 degrees cooler than the brands that feed oil from the engine.

article.jpg

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 97
omg please wheat ever you do never and i mean never ever buy there stuff. i had it on my old 1994 gt and the internal belts break constantly they are junk. the xb1 is there gear drive that is better there is no belt to break but it is still junk compared to all others on the market,there tech support and customer relations totally suck NEVER EVER BUY THIS PRODUCT PERIOD