It just keeps on coming...

Hissin, at the dealership, old for us is 97 / 98 model years. Any older than that and they generally dont get brought to us at that point. Thats how it is in my area anyway. We do have the older spec fluids but theyre sitting in the parts room collecting dust. 99% of what comes in can take the merc v as its formulated to perform better than the previous formulations of mercon anyway.

• Sponsors (?)

Hissin, at the dealership, old for us is 97 / 98 model years. Any older than that and they generally dont get brought to us at that point. Thats how it is in my area anyway. We do have the older spec fluids but theyre sitting in the parts room collecting dust. 99% of what comes in can take the merc v as its formulated to perform better than the previous formulations of mercon anyway.

Thanks for the insight. Out here they still do some work on the older stuff. I'm glad they don't automatically use the newest fluids on something where the older fluid was actually better........

So do you guys think its the type of fluid Im using that keeps making it lock up? Or should I look for something else?

I doubt it. Some of repair manuals are wrong (they spec Mercon), and people use PS fluid (hydraulic fluids are not super different - the modifiers are what really make the difference), and the pumps keep working.

Do the pumps get real noisy before they lock up? Once you remove the belt, do they spin again?

For now, I'd narrow down observations/diagnostics on the pumps themselves.

YOu probably dont need to bleed it...could be another bad pump as well...its not like there are techs assembling these...they are done on an assembly line with many underpaid workers.

Just use regular PS FLuid...do not turn the wheels at all, especially end to end and definately do not leave them turned to one end.

Fill the Resevoir (not to the top) have someone elese there ready to pour more fluid in. Start the car and quickly shut it off check the level (put a little more in than when it is at the cold level. Leave the cap off and do this on and off method about 5-6 more times (DO NOT TURN THE WHEELS MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN THE STRAIGHT POSITION) let the car sit for 10 minutes. repeat the on and off 5-8 times and let it sit for another 10 min. do this again.

You will notice foam and air bubles coming up then there will be none
Then drive the car around.

You're done