I've heard of a 64.5, but a 66.5?

Repostyle

Jun 11, 2005
Portland, OR
A Friend of mine was telling me the other day that there is a 66.5 mustang that was only made for 6 months. They said the difference is the seats are branded with a hot iron. Anybody know if this is true or not?

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of it, but that doesn't mean much. While the "branded with a hot iron seats" almost certainly sounds like BS, there were LOTS of "specials" and oddball Mustangs built back then so everyone with an odd combo thinks their car is something special. Just for the record, there is no such thing as a 64 1/2 Mustang if you want to get technical. ALL Mustangs produced in the early days (1964-ish) are 1965 Mustangs. Sure they have a generator and some have a 260 or a goofy 5-bolt block, but they are still technically a 1965 Mustang. It's just that some enthusiasts with too much to worry about started calling them '64 1/2 so everyone with one jumped on board that one. Hey, my car has a super rare (for a '68 fastback) bench seat! Know why they're so rare? No one wanted one, either then or now! As for your buddies story, I don't buy it for a second, but I could be wrong...

Never heard of that one! Although 1966 did have some starnge promotions such as the High Country Special, The White Sale and the big push for 6 cylinder sprints when Ford was running low on 289s.

Never heard of it, but that doesn't mean much. While the "branded with a hot iron seats" almost certainly sounds like BS, there were LOTS of "specials" and oddball Mustangs built back then so everyone with an odd combo thinks their car is something special. Just for the record, there is no such thing as a 64 1/2 Mustang if you want to get technical. ALL Mustangs produced in the early days (1964-ish) are 1965 Mustangs. Sure they have a generator and some have a 260 or a goofy 5-bolt block, but they are still technically a 1965 Mustang. It's just that some enthusiasts with too much to worry about started calling them '64 1/2 so everyone with one jumped on board that one. Hey, my car has a super rare (for a '68 fastback) bench seat! Know why they're so rare? No one wanted one, either then or now! As for your buddies story, I don't buy it for a second, but I could be wrong...

Yeah, I was calling BS from the start, just wanted to get some classic guys to back me up :nice:

And I've always known the first model year was 65, but always called the first model a 64.5 because that's what most people recognize as the first mustang.

Thanks for the confirmation... Nice rides BTW. and happy Independance day :flag: