JBA equal length shortys test drive

Green Machine

Founding Member
Sep 22, 2001
Lakeland Florida
These headers are nice (JBA part #1675S). They were a chore to install, but well worth it. I had a friend install them, and it was slow going to get them in.

Now the test drive. I took a drive on I-4 and the air temp was about 85*. I kept the speedo at 68mph in 5th gear with cruise on. Ended up averaging 26.0 mpg. This is a 1.5 mpg gain over the OEM headers with the same speed and temp and Interstate route.

Ok, on the performance side. :nice: It's very noticable using the SOTP metering system. I felt nothing with the Steeda UDP's, felt more with the Steeda CMCV deletes. But, with the JBA's you know something happened. I found 2 threads over on the Coral Forumn ? before I made the purchase where two of the guys had dyno'd theirs JBA shortys and had a solid 10 rwhp gain. I'll wait for some mid to low 80* temps to arrive before I have the car dyno'd. I'll be sure to post what it comes up to.

Oh, and another benefit. The exhaust is 2x deeper / throatier than previous. I have a Pypes O/R H-pipe and Ford/Borla Stingers. I love the rumble. It was great before, but now its fantastic.

I purchased the JBA's at Late Model Restoration for $479 and they had free shipping. The installer was impressed with the workmanship of the headers.

thanks Dewman :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Glad your happy with the headers. I have the same ones and they do sound wicked at high rpm. However, I had a before and after dyno done on these and they added 2rwhp and 3rwtq on a Mustang Dyno. It was about 92 degrees that day however. Have fun

Hi Kooldawg, Yeah it was done with the 20's and yes the 20's basically lowered my gain on all of my mods. I'm hoping to find a cheap set of lighter 17's to put on the rear for my next dyno pull to see a more accurate number for my car. The tech that performed the dyno run said that the height and weight of my 20's was killing my dyno numbers. He said I would see an improvement of about 15-20 hp at the wheels with smaller diameter, lighter wheels. We shall see. So, If you install these headers on a stock mustang or mildly modified with 17 or 18" wheels you may very well see 5-10hp. I would really like to know. Later fellas

Hi Guys,

I had to go back to the muffler shop today to fix several leaks. Originally I had to see them to get the drivers side header to seal up to the Pypes O/R h-pipe which they fixed.

Drove it on I-4 (see milage post) and then got home and found that the mid pipe where it connect in the middle was leaking. So I went back today and had them weld it up where the 2 halves meet as well where the axel backs connect up.

Now, you talk about about a sweet deep exhaust note!!! It's fantastic, not to mention the throttle response is better than ever. Even with 20" Nitto's this Mustang will get up and go. It's like driving with a new tune. :nice: Btw - this isn't a 2-3 rwhp gain. But the dyno will tell. Once we get some low 80's high 70's I'll get it dyno'd and post up the numbers.

Thanks, Dewman

Hi Guys,

I had to go back to the muffler shop today to fix several leaks. Originally I had to see them to get the drivers side header to seal up to the Pypes O/R h-pipe which they fixed.

Drove it on I-4 (see milage post) and then got home and found that the mid pipe where it connect in the middle was leaking. So I went back today and had them weld it up where the 2 halves meet as well where the axel backs connect up.

Now, you talk about about a sweet deep exhaust note!!! It's fantastic, not to mention the throttle response is better than ever. Even with 20" Nitto's this Mustang will get up and go. It's like driving with a new tune. :nice: Btw - this isn't a 2-3 rwhp gain. But the dyno will tell. Once we get some low 80's high 70's I'll get it dyno'd and post up the numbers.

Thanks, Dewman

Join the club, I have all my exhaust pieces welded together as well. Couldn't get the leaks out.:nonono: