JLT RAI Question?

Johnson505

Jan 12, 2004
I finally got a JLT RAI and installed it on my '03 GT tonight. It was a very tight fit. The end of the air cleaner hangs down to the point that it is touching the car. It is the metal part on the end of the air cleaner that is touching. The heat sheild was a real pain in the butt to install. It almost touches the metal part of the air cleaner at the rear. Does it sound like I have it installed correctly or do i need to try again. I havent' driven the car yet. I want to be sure the install is right.:shrug: I have an Air Force One RAI on my F150 that is close, but does not touch.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

Jamessocal said:
Mine was a tight fit too. Try loosening all the clamps and mess around with it until you get a better fit. It was kind of a PITA at first but you'll get it.
diddo...I agree..Thats pretty much how I adjusted mine to make it fit perfectly.
Its a good kit to. really likes to suk up alot of air.

Just make sure the rubber coupler that connects the pipe to your throttle body is as far on the throttle body as possible. I had to actually trim some off of my rubber piece to make it go on further. If everything else is on tight that is going to be your main adjustment and it will pull the whole setup up some and you will have a little more room down near the filter. Mine touched until I did that and also the pipe rubbed very hard on the strut tower, but now it barely touches and does not rub hard.

Once you get the coupler trimmed up right(if necessary) it works great. Personally, I do not use the heat shield.

Why would they call this a ram air kit? And more importantly, why would somebody buy a kit from a company who claims their product is something it isn't?

Thanks for for all the comments. I need to remove it so I can add a gasket between the MAF adapter and the MAF. It was not a air tight fit. I could see light in between the 2 pieces. I will see If I can get anymore adjustment out of it. When Jay with JLT replied to my email, he said that the filter touching is not uncommon.

Yea mine touched also, also check to see if it is hitting the oil filler cap, mine did and broke some of the clips that hold the filler neck in the valve cover, a quick fix for that is the cut the sides off the cap so it doesn't hit, just an fyi.
MAtt

Its an ASOME product, plenty of people on MD have it and the owner did a back to back dyno of stock vs his.

they did a base run at full temp, pulled the car off the dyno...installed the JLT RAI and returned the car to full temp and redynoed (same day..2 hours later W/ simpular temps) and it made 12RWHP more.
I couldnt nail mine after I installed it, but i could feel a difference in free ravving and a little in throttle responce (had K&N before).
Others on MD have gained 1MPH on adverage at the track with the simple addition of this RAI.
It and the demalte are the only ones that REALLY work. I dont like the demalte due to it having a bend before the MAF.

Do you have to have the headlight out to experience these gains?
By the way, I enjoyed the clip of your car running. I never get tired of hearing a cammed up mustang. Sure would like to hear it on the dyno.

Well i have a home made ram air on mine that blows right on the filter. At the track, it made 0 difference in trap when I pulled the headlight. Bt my ram air thing we made WORKS! My filter was coated with black dirt...ALOT of it. And it was JUST where the ram air blows on it...i just cleaned it the other day...nasty, but the rest was actually pretty clean LOL.

Ill be getting a dyno PROBABLY next tuesday or so...ill take a vid of it :D your the first person who has asked, so ill do it.

Johnson505 said:
Thanks for for all the comments. I need to remove it so I can add a gasket between the MAF adapter and the MAF. It was not a air tight fit. I could see light in between the 2 pieces. I will see If I can get anymore adjustment out of it.

This was actually one of my major complaints when I first got my RAI. It was a cheap plastic MAF adapter and clearly was not air tight. At first I put some sensor safe gasket maker on there, but I wasn't happy with that as it was ghetto. So, I found a nice billet aluminum adapter somewhere cheap and that solved the problem as, unlike the cheap plastic, it met up perfectly with the MAF. At the time, Tucker said he was going with a better adapter, so I'm not sure why you would have problems, but maybe its still plastic.