junk yard tools for SN 95 spindles...

Jawbone

Jan 17, 2010
B.C., Canada
If you're going to the junk yard to pull SN 95 spindles for the first time this might help:
Besides the usual assortment of tools, may I suggest including the following for the removal of /94 /95 Mustang spindles:
Two 1/2 inch drive ratchets, one medium and one large sledge hammer (some stuff has to be smashed before it loosens), ear muffs (the smashing can get loud), pickle fork, knee pads, shovel (some junk yards let their vehicles sit in the mud, spindles must be dug free), your socket set should include 15/16 inch, 21 mm and 15 mm sockets, an open/box end wrench of approximately 10 mm (can’t remember for sure), a wheel barrow (or you can steal the neighbour kid’s wagon to haul your tools around the junk yard), 18” x 1” and 36” x 1” cast iron pipes slightly flattened (if necessary) at one end to accept your ratchet handles (you gonna need the leverage), safety glasses (just in case), plastic bags and duct tape to wrap the ends of the brake lines, you don’t want that stuff on your paint or upholstery.
To remove the spindle from the lower control arm ball joint, jerk on the spindle while whacking it. Start with the mid-sized sledge hammer, give it at least a dozen smacks before going to a larger sledge. I did it with a regular hammer (forgot to bring my sledge collection), it was a pain but it came off in about 20 smacks.
HTH.

• Sponsors (?)