Junkyard 351c's or w's??

tjm73 said:
Huh?!?!

power = speed :flag:
'

HMMMM thats funny...can anyone say supra? Dont they make INSANE power numbers and dont run that fast? I might be wrong since i dont know much about the supra scene but i do know that most are known as dyno queens :shrug:

But most of the time you are right...it is about making power. But what i was trying to say is that a 347 wont make more power...if anything it might make a tad bit less. But the reason it goes faster, or was said to go faster, is because of its lighter weight.

POWER must be used correctly to get speed. Power alone will not get you there...well it can if u can get enormous amounts.

• Sponsors (?)

nmcgrawj said:
HMMMM thats funny...can anyone say supra? Dont they make INSANE power numbers and dont run that fast? I might be wrong since i dont know much about the supra scene but i do know that most are known as dyno queens :shrug:

But most of the time you are right...it is about making power. But what i was trying to say is that a 347 wont make more power...if anything it might make a tad bit less. But the reason it goes faster, or was said to go faster, is because of its lighter weight.

A Supra isnt a fair comparison by any stretch of the imagination. I know all about them, but I'm not even going there.

The point others have made is the power potential of a 408 over a 347 is greater than the effect of the weight differential between the two.

65ShelbyClone said:
A Supra isnt a fair comparison by any stretch of the imagination. I know all about them, but I'm not even going there.

The point others have made is the power potential of a 408 over a 347 is greater than the effect of the weight differential between the two.

And i have said that a 408 built right will make INSANE power time and time again.

I just stated that, just like Jay Allen did in his post, that the extra 10 cubic inches wont make up for the weight difference. This is just with the stock rotating assemblies though cause i would think that if you went aftermarket you could build it lighter...but then it most likely wouldnt be 351/357 cubic inches.

Aliate X said:
Hey guys I did the search thing all last night, found a lot, but still have this question.

I have decided to go N/A after seeing a 347 stroker all motor 5.0 last night totally anniliate a twin turbo car.

Well I decided to go with a 351, and later on a 351 based stroker, or maybe do the 408 right now. First of all, I was guessing that I should get the block/shortblock w/e from a junkyard. This engine will be seeing no poweradders.

What vechicle should I be looking for to pull a 351w or c out of? I dont think you can get the clevlands anymore correct? I hear they are better.

Btw, Im ordering a fuel pump today, will a regular BBK pump work with the carbed 408 later on?

Any info would be greatly appriciated.

For the block look at pickups and broncos. Some older cars had 351w, not not too many recently. The 69-75? blocks are stronger due to thicker main webs. That may not be necessary for your application though, since you don't plan on a power adder. I will be using a 74 on this rebuild because boost is in my future. If you decide to not bother searching for an older block, the next best option is to find a roller cam block. You can modify the older blocks for rollers if you go the old block route.
I am using a 225lph pump on my 408 without any major problems.
I just posted to the 351w swap sticky about how I got the motor under the stock hood. There are other options outlined there as well.
If you have other Q's let me know. I was very happy with the swap, even though at first I did not even rebuild the 351w. I had low compression in 2 cylinders and I still had more power than the 302.
Are you building this for the track or street use?