Just a couple t5 carnage pics.

blackened88lx

Aug 9, 2006
Connecticut
As some of you know, I broke the t5 in my car a couple weeks ago. I finally stopped being lazy and pulled it out and apart Sunday. Everything inside actually looks halfway decent except for 3rd gear. I didn't take it apart completely because I'm not sure what I'm doing with it yet, but I took a couple pics of 3rd gear. The countershaft gear is missing about 10 teeth, and the mainshaft gear is just a little chewed up.
HPIM0185.jpg

HPIM0189.jpg

HPIM0187.jpg

HPIM0188.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I love seeing broken t5's. Between me and my friends we have gone through about 15 T5's and everyone has broken differently from each other. hahah Heres a picture of a motorsport trans that blew up with in ten minutes of having it in my car. HAH

DSCN0531.jpg

DSCN0530.jpg

you guys must have lots of mods to do that and or are just banging gears i dunno my t-5 went 218,000 miles befor i snapped the main shaft .
But the gears were beautiful though and reused

Hey I did the exact same thing to my T-5. I did the conversion from auto and I blew 3rd gear sky high at about 500 miles. I shifted into 3rd around 5k and BOOM! Took it apart and 3rd gear along with the counter gear was missing every single tooth. Went with the TKO after that. Hey Josh, did you get those heads put on yet? You might have needed to beef up the tranny after that swap anyway.

Hey I did the exact same thing to my T-5. I did the conversion from auto and I blew 3rd gear sky high at about 500 miles. I shifted into 3rd around 5k and BOOM! Took it apart and 3rd gear along with the counter gear was missing every single tooth. Went with the TKO after that. Hey Josh, did you get those heads put on yet? You might have needed to beef up the tranny after that swap anyway.

in 10 yrs i downshifted like that not many times and guess i could have blown mine too that way.
i blew mine by reving it high after mistakenly putting it in 1st it wasn't in all the way it popped out boom and that was that!!!!:nonono:

272 to the tires, and powershifted every damn track pass and going strong!!! My dads car went low 12s for 2 years on a T5 and its still fine (its in my brothers 86 with the 11 second motor)... I guess its luck of the draw with them!

Yea I want to know too. I have been throwing a 200 shot of spary and haven't done anyhting to a stock t5. Also I dump it around 4 grand at every green light.

Cause engines so strong it,s expected anyways gm wouldnt even mate a 5 speed to their 350 in their 3rd gens .
These trannys have to put up with a lot and 218,000 miles behind that 5.0 would break any tranny no matter how its driven its a lot a torque even stock!!!!!

Ah, the good ole 3rd gear failure.

The reason 3rd fails so much is because it's located in the middle of the trans away dfrom any structural support. When in 3rd, the gears will try to push themselves apart. The mainshaft flexes a bit and the gears spread to the thinned areas of the teeth. Since these are weaker, it's only a matter of time.

It's why a hardened mainshaft is a good upgrade for a t-5...but a TKO or T-56 is a better upgrade

How Many miles!!!?????
how many owners???
I actualy broke my mainshaft in two:rolleyes:

43k miles, I'm the second owner, and the last guy drove it like grandma. I've owned the car for about 6 months, and have around 6k miles on it. You just can't powershift it a lot if you want it to live. I drive the car every day in the summer, and I powershift it a few times every time I drive it, so if you think about, that's more abuse than a track car would get.

Hey Josh, did you get those heads put on yet? You might have needed to beef up the tranny after that swap anyway.

Nope, heads aren't on yet. I was getting ready to do all that when this happened. I was hoping the tranny would last the summer being as fresh as it was. I guess not haha. Oh well, I had fun doing it.

Mine broke the teeth off the input shaft. TKO went in it's place. I held onto the T5 for some stupid reason, I actually chucked it in at the county landfill last week, along with the stock intake and a ton (literally) of other mustang parts.