just pulled codes using paper clip and got a code 13

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Hey guys just pulled my codes (first time doing it) and I believe I got a code 13. I did the test with the engine running and in neutral. It flashed one long one and then two quick ones and then it did one long and three shorts. So what is code 13, something 'bout not being able to idle or something huh? My car idles fair, but bucks and chugs at cruising speeds and the tc is not locking. Is this 13 I got related?

• Sponsors (?)

Code 13 - Key on Engine off - ISC did not respond properly (extends to touch throttle then retracts for KOEO) – ISC

Key on Engine running - Idle Speed Control motor or Air Bypass not controlling idle properly (generally idle too high)

If your idle is above 725 RPM, the computer will set this code. Normal idle speed is 650-725 RPM. Higher than that means that someone has mechanically set the idle speed by use of the idle speed screw, and has effectively disabled to computer’s ability to control idle speed.

See the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems.

Inside the checklist is the base idle set procedure that helps resolve idle speed problems after all the codes and other problems have been fixed.

The quick and easy way to dump the codes is in there too, and all you need to do it is a paper clip! The first two posts contain all the fixes & updates. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.