Just took the convertible in for a new TOP

Eric94GTvert

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
PA, Nazareth
Just took my convertible in to get the top replaced. It had a pretty bad rip ever since I bought the car 3 years ago.
vert_top_rip_far_cropped.jpg

vert_top_rip_cropped.jpg

In the last month the tear doubled in size so I decided it was time. The rest of the top was still in good shape for a '94. I hope the new one lasts as long or longer than the old one.

I'll post pics tonight when it's done.

• Sponsors (?)

Killercanary said:
Good to see you again Eric! Will you be at cecil in november for the ssotn race? I'll be there but I won't have my car.

Hey Paul!, someone remembers me! :banana: I haven't been on the forums as much because I'm trying to save $. Kind of like: out of sight, out of mind. I come here and want to spend all my $ on mods. :D With all these damn turbo threads going around saving isn't gonna be easy.

Hell yea I'll be @ cecil!! I'm all paid up just not sure whether I'm hitting a hotel or driving there in the morning. I'm looking forward to trying out the ET drags. How far off is your car from being fixed?

Eric94GTvert said:
How far off is your car from being fixed?

Well, here is its current state... so I'd say a LONG time. Hopefully sometime next year I'll be ready.

emptyenginebay1.jpg

Good luck at cecil! You will NOT have a traction problem with some ET drags especially at that track. I'll see you there!

Well, I just picked up the car. It came out really good. I'm so glad that rip is long gone.

It costs $736 for the top and installation, They called me halfway thought the day and said I also needed new "straps and bow pads" another $125 :bang: . It came out to $912 said and done after tax :owned: Even with the extra $125, it was still cheaper than every other place I called.

100_001_2.jpg

100_0010_2.jpg

100_0009_2.jpg

mricci said:
That sounds kinda expensive, on my 1988 vert most places quoted me around 500 for a black top, and installation. Looks good though.
I think you're the lucky one. I called every shop I could find close to me. I got in touch with all of them with the exception of one(never answered). Some of the shops were booked for weeks and they were all around 1k, then I got one quote for 1400. I have heard of people getting deals for top installations as low as 440. I couldn't seen to find them!?

yo man I remember you lol still say hi to you on AIM once in a while too but you never answer. How ya been? Top looks nice

Damn Paul you haven't done anything yet lol gettign like me working on mine. How are you the Oct '05 Mustang Enthusiast Magazine Featured Car with no motor lol

MysteryMachine said:
Damn Paul you haven't done anything yet lol gettign like me working on mine. How are you the Oct '05 Mustang Enthusiast Magazine Featured Car with no motor lol

LOL! Its magic!

Magazine features normally take 6 months or more from the time of the photo shoot until the article runs, I just happened to blow mine up in that time period unfortunately. :(

Killercanary said:
LOL! Its magic!

Magazine features normally take 6 months or more from the time of the photo shoot until the article runs, I just happened to blow mine up in that time period unfortunately. :(

So Paul, are u just fixing it or changing the combo? Come on come on let us know!

I never knew tops were so expensive to replace! Looks good though!

Killercanary said:
Eric, did you look into getting the '03 cobra style top for your car? I'm wondering how much more expensive they are than our stock tops. I REALLY like the ones on the '03's.

The 03-04 cobra tops are sweet!
I asked about the cobra top each time I asked for a quote. As an example, this company which is local to me http://www.sabatinicoachworks.com/ quoted me $1500 for the standard top, rear glass, and headliner replaced. I brought up the cobra top and he said an extra $180 plus more labor and more yet for the rear glass with the "curtain" attached.

The other shops I asked just said' "it'll be A LOT more" and that changed my mind about the cobra setup.

Oh and a FYI, In the book the vinyl top is 10hrs labor and the rear glass is 4 hrs labor standard.