K-member

• Sponsors (?)

I have them and it can hurt. Lowers the lbs in the front plus you get the advantages of coilovers. If I had to do it again, I'd go with griggs or MM tub k and a-arms.

I've always been reluctant about buying an aftermarket K-member simply for the fact that my stang is daily driven and although I like to think of myself as a good driver accidents happen to even the best of us. I don't think a tubular k-member would be able to absorb an impact as well as a stock k-member. Just something to keep in mind if you drive your stang on the street frequently.

ive got a complete set up from PA racing on the Roush which is driven as much as i can when its not raining so basically its a daily driver...as far as impact absorbtion if your hit hard enough in the front end for the kmember to be affected,absorbtion from the kmember is the least of your worries...the engine would take the brunt of an impact like that

Advantages of the coil overs is obviously the weight savings. But it will also put the spring and shock in the same position that is more optimum than the stock setup. With that said you can run a spring that has a lower unsprung weight thus it will lighter.

Later
Jason

[QUOTE='96&'01Stang]Should I go with coilovers at the same time?[/QUOTE]

If your going to dragrace the car. Depending on the type of tires your going to run. Coilovers could hurt your times. DRs dont like coilovers to much.

Roush97 said:
...as far as impact absorbtion if your hit hard enough in the front end for the kmember to be affected,absorbtion from the kmember is the least of your worries...the engine would take the brunt of an impact like that

That's not the point. K-members are prone to crushing the foot-well area and breaking legs, toes, feet even killing you by driving the foot-well and firewall in to the compartment. Even in moderate crashes of 35mph-45mph

This is why they are stamped and "crumple zoned".

Also, they can make your car feel like a go-kart. Now that's desired on the track, but driving in LA rush hour traffic....it's not.

Wayne S said:
If your going to dragrace the car. Depending on the type of tires your going to run. Coilovers could hurt your times. DRs dont like coilovers to much.

I thought we were talking about the front of the car here. :shrug: You can get whatever coil over spring rate in the front you want.

Mr_Q said:
That's not the point. K-members are prone to crushing the foot-well area and breaking legs, toes, feet even killing you by driving the foot-well and firewall in to the compartment. Even in moderate crashes of 35mph-45mph

This is why they are stamped and "crumple zoned".

Also, they can make your car feel like a go-kart. Now that's desired on the track, but driving in LA rush hour traffic....it's not.

damn, do you have any more information/links/etc. about the safety issues with tubular k-member/a-arms? I had planned on getting one soon, but now I'm second guessing the decision.. I already shattered my femur in my last stang (head-on/high-speed).

:(

-g