K&N Air Filter Cleaning

The package says clean every 50'000 miles? Did I misread or is that what it really says? I took mine off yesterday to take a look at it and it looks pretty dirty. Ive only had it on for like 15,000 miles. I went to Autozone and bought the cleaning kit. Should I wait till I hit 50,000 miles or can I clean it now?

• Sponsors (?)

You guys missing the point and cleaning the filter way too often. The filter works better the dirtier it gets....that's the idea. Cleaning it every 30k - 50k is perfect. You are not supposed to clean these things so frequently. Besides, the oil gets all over the MAF wires if you are not careful.

Just to prove a point, I have 45k on my K&N on a Suburban. The car is equipped with a flow sensor for the filter. This sensor is still in the green indicating that flow is good.

I have been using these filters for nearly 20 years and thius is how I always rplace them.

I think the 50,000 mile mark may be under optimum conditions. I use visual inspection and vehicle performance to gauge the proper time to recharge mine. If you have ever had a vehicle become sluggish because of a dirty filter, you will quickly recognize it when it happens again. Just my two cents, but that's how I handle it. :D

from K&N website:

A K&N Filtercharger is a high-performance air filter, both in terms of air flow and filtration. However, the service interval can vary widely depending on the severity of the driving conditions. The service interval can be from 100 miles in a desert-racing environment to 50,000 miles for normal street use. The proper way to determine when an air filter needs service is with an air restriction gauge. Such a device is commonly used on heavy duty trucks and construction equipment. A restriction gauge, measures the pressure differential inside and outside the filter and gives the information in different forms of measurement. As the filter collects more and more dirt, the restriction value increases. At a predetermined point or rate of restriction, the filter is serviced. The maximum allowable restriction for a K&N Filtercharger is 15" of vacuum (water). If the restriction is allowed to go higher, the filter media might become so restricted that the element could distort allowing dirty air to bypass the filter and enter the engine. Conversely, cleaning a filter too often will shorten its serviceable life expectancy. Installing a restriction gauge will optimize service intervals and take the guess work out of your maintenance schedule.

holler said:
from K&N website:

A K&N Filtercharger is a high-performance air filter, both in terms of air flow and filtration. However, the service interval can vary widely depending on the severity of the driving conditions. The service interval can be from 100 miles in a desert-racing environment to 50,000 miles for normal street use. The proper way to determine when an air filter needs service is with an air restriction gauge. Such a device is commonly used on heavy duty trucks and construction equipment. A restriction gauge, measures the pressure differential inside and outside the filter and gives the information in different forms of measurement. As the filter collects more and more dirt, the restriction value increases. At a predetermined point or rate of restriction, the filter is serviced. The maximum allowable restriction for a K&N Filtercharger is 15" of vacuum (water). If the restriction is allowed to go higher, the filter media might become so restricted that the element could distort allowing dirty air to bypass the filter and enter the engine. Conversely, cleaning a filter too often will shorten its serviceable life expectancy. Installing a restriction gauge will optimize service intervals and take the guess work out of your maintenance schedule.

Said like a pro! I guess then with my air restriction gauge, I am still in good shape after 45k miles. My Suburban mostly gets driven on the highway.

A regular air filter is usually changed every 10-12,000 miles.... why the hell would you clean out a K&N every oil change???? There's no need to be that anal about it unless you drive in incredibly bad conditions.

I take my light out at the track. It gets very dirty because I do not have a cover and at the track, there are usually a lot of bugs.

I clean it when its dirty and the pink is coming off.

K&N

I have been using K&N's for10-15 years. I have always gone the 50K miles with great results. As a previous post said, they work better when they start to get dirty. I just cleaned and re-oiled the one in my 2000 GT-not that much actually came out after 50 K miles. Also, DO NOT OVER OIL!