K&N FIPK install instructions

• Sponsors (?)

Have you tried going to K&N's homepage on the web and seeing if they have any installation instructions ? I'll try to help the best I can.

Ok. I can't remember everything in detail but I'll tell you what I can. There are a couple of sensors and hoses that attack to your intake tubing. Note them, what they look like, and their location as you will reinstall them on the new K&N intake setup in the same positions.

The black intake tubing should run from the throttle body to the airbox. It is basically held in with only a few simple metal straps that are adjusted with a little screw. Just unloose them and slide the intake tubing off the throttle body and from the air box. There should be two hoses attached on the drivers side of the tubing. One is to the IAC and the other to the PCV. Just unlooses the metal straps and slide them off for now. You will re-attach these to the new K&N plastic tubing later.

The little sensor on your intake hosing that unplugs and has a little "eye of the needle" end is called the IAT(Idle air temperature sensor). There should be a circular black gasket that holds it in place inside the induction tubing. You must becareful with this and do not cut it. You'll need to take the IAT sensor completely out and then work with this gasket to get it out. You will transfer this gasket to a hole your going to enlarge on the K&N plastic tubing. You should see the little hole in about the middle of the tube. It's small and will need to be enlarged. I think to 1/16 in. Use a drill bit to do this.

The large sensor on the end of the tubing is called the MAF sensor. It should be connected between the airbox and black hosing of the intake. Dont take any of the screws out of it itself as this is not neccessary. Just unhook the plastic electrical connection from the sensor and remove the sensor. It should be circular looking when you remove it with the electrical part on top of course.

As for removing the airbox, this isnt all that hard. First, unloosen the black metal bracket around the end of the air box and remove the filter. There should be a screw that holds the air box in place. It will be on the passengers side against the fender and just above the airbox. Take this screw out and pull the air box out. When you pull it out there should be a black rubber piece extending into the fenderwell. This is called the air silener. Remove it as well.

Once you have all the stock airbox pieces and things out of there, its time to install the K&N FIPK. Once your hole is drilled for the IAT sensor, try and slide the little black gasket into the whole you drilled and then place the IAT sensor inside. Next, attach the FIPK tubing to the throttle body using the one of the orange cuffs you have to link it to the throttle body. Be sure to slide the two metal straps back on and tighten them to hold this in place. Then, attach your MAF meter to the lower end of the tubing. It will need the other orange cuff as well and this is a little more tricky to attach as you're more limited in room with getting your hands in there. Once you get this attached, attach the heat shiled to the MAF meter. NOTE: It would be best to attach the K&N air filter to the Heat shield before installing it. It makes it a lot easier because if you install the heat shield first, it makes it nearly impossible to slide the filter in that little space. There is also two metal brackets you have to attach as well between the MAF meter and heat shield with one of the bolts. They will join to a bolt on your motor. I'll take a picture of this for more help as I have the FIPK on my car. When I take the pictures, I'll post them.

Once you install the heat shield and filter, re-attach the two hoses from the IAC and PCV. After this, double check all of your connections and reconnect the MAF meter to the electric source and the IAT to its electrical connection. Finally, double check all your connections and give the car a start. Look and listen for air leaks. If you get the SES light, double check all your sensor and hose connections making sure nothing is loose.

I hope this helps. I dont have the instructions here so I'm going by memory. Hopefully the pictures I take will help. Good luck and let us know if you have any problems.

Ok. I got some pictures. The first one is of your IAT sensor and the second is of your MAF meter. Just in case if you dont know what these two sensors look like.

Attachments

• Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Image011.jpg
    Image011.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 116
Ok. Here's a couple more pictures. This time, its of the brackets that attach to your motor and to the back of the heat shield. There not very good pictures cause this camera isnt that great but I hope they help. Ive also circled the bracket for you real quickly in one picture using the paint program. Forgive the bad quality.

Attachments

• Image039.jpg
    Image039.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 91
Ok. The first picture in this one shows what it should look like when attached to the throttle body and the second is the final finished picture when you're all done.

Attachments

• Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Image031.jpg
    Image031.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 97
I did the install this past weekend but I'm having trouble with the IAC and PCV tubes...my oil filler neck seems to be in the way and with that problem I cant place the bottom bracket on the heat shield. Did anyone come across this problem as well, and how can I fix it?
Thanks

I had a pain of a time with those brackets and the heat shield. The IAC and PCV tubes didnt seem to give me much problems though. You should run the PCV tubing underneath the IAC tubing, at least thats how I did mine and had enough room. As for the brackets, you just need to look at the pictures, read the instructions, and be patient with it. I hope that helps and sorry I cant help more than what I am. If you have any more questions, just ask.