keeping car outdoors under a cover

Bolt on 5.0

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2002
Suffolk, NY
how many of you guys have your car covered outdoors for a long period of time. Right now my car is garaged but I am moving and I might keep it at my parents house under the cover. Just curious if the cars finish will be ruined from moisture in the long run. If so I am going to look into a storage unit.

I am moving out of state for about 6 months to try out the new state. If I like it I will have the car shipped down. I just do not want to come back to NY 6 month from now and see that my paint is ruined from sitting in the moisture under a cover for months

• Sponsors (?)

As long as you park it on ground that won't collect moisture (to rust the bottom of the car) and you use a nice thick car cover, you will be perfect.

I've stored many cars outside [through Michigan wanna be winters] with out any problems.

yeh the car will be parked in a cement driveway under a custom fit cover. Its just when I used to keep it under the cover for a few weeks it would get filthy from the rain splatter un the lower side. Just wanted to know who stores there cars outdoor perminently and if it stays nice

make sure to put a good coat of wax on it before you cover it up, mine was outside for 3 months while the garage was being built, not sure about where you are, but they wanted $150 a month for a storage unit where i am, I said hell with that, get a good outdoor cover fresh coat of wax and park it on pavement and it will be fine.