Kenne Bell dyno results?

rlhdude

Apr 21, 2008
This is a continuation of usaf_branham informative Kenne Bell report about his dyno results after installing this blower. 357 hp sounded low and well below what Kenne Bell says we should expect.

Have other installed the KB 9psi intercooled kit and acheived the 400+ hp stated on the KB site? Had my heart set on this blower now I am having second thoughts.

Thanks,

Rick

• Sponsors (?)

This is a continuation of usaf_branham informative Kenne Bell report about his dyno results after installing this blower. 357 hp sounded low and well below what Kenne Bell says we should expect.

Have other installed the KB 9psi intercooled kit and acheived the 400+ hp stated on the KB site? Had my heart set on this blower now I am having second thoughts.

I got 385rwHP out of my used (and possibly tired) 1.7 using KBs tune, through the factory logs and H-pipe and using the factory intake and paper filter (silencer removed.) The car had a pretty bad vacuum leak (unbeknownst to us at the time) and the shop had not re-gapped the spark plugs from 0.054" to 0.032" so it may have been missing a bit up top. (In the days after I got it home I'd see sporadic MILs indicating a misfire. After reducing the gap I haven't seen any since...)

With things corrected and a K&N filter, I'm probably knocking on 400s door now.

How much power one makes with one of these kits is largely dependent on the tune. I think one should err on the side of caution to protect the fragile stock bottom end against detonation by pulling timing and adding fuel. I think a conservative tune can easily chew away 30HP or more. I don't know the answer to usaf_branham's tale. IIRC, he's making good torque but the power output is down from what one might expect. He may have had belt slip occuring (bad tensioner?), a weak COP, very conservative timing, inlet restrictions etc.

I believe ~400 is the rule, not the exception, if the install is done right, the motor and ancillaries are in good shape and the tune is well done.

I'm looking at getting the 2.1L kit in the next year or so and I have read a bunch of stuff on a few forums. There are also two guys in my Mustang group (one with the 1.7L and one with the 2.1L) that have used the KB tunes when they installed the blowers. Guy with the 1.7L made 378-380rwhp or so out of the canned tune. He then went to a local tuner and is making 425rwhp or so with just a tune tweek. Seems to me the KB tune was a very conservative/safe tune for him. Guy with the 2.1L made just short of 400rwhp with the canned tune and has kept it in the car. I don't know of any issues with either one of them. Either way you go (KB or TorkTech), you will be very happy with the results, I'm sure. These motors love to have forced induction. It's just up to you on the choice.

I just mailed the order forms in for the 6psi KB for my '01 auto. Gonna try their tune and see what happens. Hopefully have it installed by the end of the month. Will post results.

i dont think i had belt slip... i know that my tune is conservative, 13 degrees of spark, 11.8 a/f... i have the dyno sheet, 357 rwhp, 410 rwtq... i was expecting alot more horsepower... the install is correct. one would think, that with longtubes and full exhaust i would be making a bit more... i still have the stock throttle body, with a bbk cold air intake. i dont get it.

i dont think i had belt slip... i know that my tune is conservative, 13 degrees of spark, 11.8 a/f... i have the dyno sheet, 357 rwhp, 410 rwtq... i was expecting alot more horsepower... the install is correct. one would think, that with longtubes and full exhaust i would be making a bit more... i still have the stock throttle body, with a bbk cold air intake. i dont get it.

Stock TB...? 65mm? I had to change up to a 75mm TB. And a K&N fenderwell CAI. The filter is very long. What about your MAF? I changed up to a 90mm.