Kenny Brown Side Vents Installed

I agree with the above statements about painting the silver part to match the red. It just stands out so much that it looks out of place. If you could just see the black screen as standing out it would look sweet. Nice mod.

• Sponsors (?)

04DarkShadowGT said:
i know they are functional but the last thing the mustang needs is more scopes. just not my style i guess. you got some big balls for cutting the fenders though you get props for that

My neighbor was watching as I cut into the Mustang. He had a confused and dazed look on his face. I think he figured I finally cracked, which is quite possible. I have to say this was the most gutsy thing I've done to the car. One slip and and it's all over. If you do this mod - be very careful, plan, and use a template.

I can't see that the passenger's side could have any function at all. The engine heat can not get to it. On the driver's side, it might help to vent heat out of the little opening where the firewall meets the fenderwell. If this is the case, then KB should build a plastic duct to route it directly to the side vent. This duct would also protect the inner fender from salt and dirt in the winter. The reason that there is a stock plastic liner in the fender well is to keep salt and mud from rusting the fender and body. By putting an aftermarket vent in there, salt and dirt will accumulate; causing the fender and the area around the doors to go to crap. Also, (if I remember correctly) there is an electronic module right behind that vent that might get wet. This is not a good thing. If the right side vent serves no purpose, then I would just paint the area black instead of cutting it out.

As for the vent screening material, either be absolutely sure it is painted VERY well, or switch to a stainless steel fabric. Seeing how you drive in the winter, if salt gets on it, it will rust. ALL of my Saleen screens are now a crappy shade or red. (RUST!) I purchased some stainless steel screens, but I have to rip everything back off to get them on.

One mod that "might" serve the same purpose as your vent is reverse hood scoops on both sides of the hood just in front of the windshield. These could be low-lying small scoops turned backwards to help pull heat out of the engine bay. If a manufacturer built these, they could also incorporate a RPM shift light into the driver's side scoop. The potential pitfall to these is that it might ruin the structural integrity of the hood. I have seen some Cobra cowl-type hoods with vents in the cowl.

I am not knocking your vents; just chatting a little bit about ideas that might make them better. It is always great to see new products. We just have to be a little careful about "side effects" until they have been used for awhile. Keep us posted.

Oh, one other thing; did you paint the bare metal of the fender after you cut them? If not, expect rust. Also, did they use stainless steel screws? If not, expect rust. I know, I sound paranoid. I am. I live in a salt zone in the winter. Many years ago I had to sell a nice 1973 Mach I because it just rusted away to nothing. Yup, paranoid would be right on.

I was sort of thinking the same thing in terms of functionality. The passenger side is blocked. My other question is what happens to the high speed stability of the vehicle. I can't see it helping on crosswinds nor hurting but assuming that air had easy escape through the side vents, how would it affect the flow of air along the side of the car?

Without more information, I believe that they are simple asthetic only if the hood is totally sealed and not worth much more than that at street speeds. I think it would be easier to put reverse scoops at the back of the hood and I don't believe that would affect the strength of the hood. The downside to reverse scoops is if you spring a leak of water or oil at high speeds, you are going to have a windshield full of crap blocking your viewn. I do know that with the stock hood at real high speeds, engine bay air pressure deifnitely builds up. In fact, I block most of my front grill and tape off joints in the hood to reduce pressure until I change the hood.

they are OK. IMO less is more, but I like the simple look which is why I did a spoiler delete, and want to add the smooth Bullit side scoops. Those look to me a little too much as though you're driving a formula F1 car or something. I dunno. They'd look better as stated before by painting the the silver edge to match. Maybe on a a black Stang (and painted to match) they wouldn't stand out as much. I just never really cared for adding things to a car that scream "look at me" like your begging for attention. They may be functional I guess but how much performance wise can they help anyway. It's definately different paint it to match, and post back up. I'm surprised no one said "rice" yet :shrug:

Vent to releave back pressure buildup in wheel wells

I'm pretty sure that those vents were not designed to vent heat from the engine bay. That's what a functional hood is for. The actual use of venting behind the front wheels is part of the aero package. Backpressure builds up in the wheel wells. The vent allows that pressure to be released. I could be wrong but you should verify this before you start running tubes and cutting more holes trying to release heat from the engine bay. Additionally, to get optimal effect, you'll either have to remove your wheel well lining or louver them at the rear to maximize the effect.

Good luck and congrats on the successful install!

Norm

Good point - I'll do that before running any tubing. I've only noticed that heat seems to dissapate heat on the left side as might be suggested earlier. I was thinking, however that I might force heat through som tubing to the vents. I'll have to think that through though.

And you Paid for thoses?
Ahh man Your mustang looked Much better before you did that, if there's no real gain from putting them on which I see none.. Then why???
IMO they look bad But It's your car and No one can tell you otherwise, Other then to say OUCH The fender looks .... Well It's your car