Knight Rider

• Sponsors (?)

I also like the chase scene in Gone in 60 Seconds better.
Which Movie? The Original, or the remake? I'll assume you are talking about the newer one. If not, disregard the following :)

Of course you guys like the newer stuff better .... human nature. Bigger, better, flashier. The point about the Bullitt scene remains, no COMPUTERS. No fiber bodies on frames simply made to fly.... Gone's scene was good, sure, any car would land that trailer jump and drive off, lol.

At the TIME, NO ONE had seen a chase scene like it, it was WAY beyond. Was Gone in 60 seconds scene "landmark"? Nope. They make entire movies with cgi these days, nothing is out of reach. Was the movie (Gone) more polished? Better acting? Better production? (was Angelina hot?) No doubt. Will it have a cult following like Bullitt in 40 years? Will a major corporation celebrate it with Special Editions? Doubtful.

It's about seeing how good something was WHEN it was done. Same thing as comparing a 2008 GT500 to one of 40 years ago. Sure the new one is better in EVERY way. But that's not the point. Your stock GT would SPANK the GT390 in Bullitt... however, what's the resale? Is it because it's a better car? Not even close.

In the Dirtbike/Motocross world we have the movie "On Any Sunday" , which by chance, McQueen was also in, just as a rider, not an actor (it's a documentary). Same kinda thing... the young ones want to see double backflips, bone-crushing crashes with Korn (whoever) soundtracks... not a bunch of old (now) dudes, jumping crap bikes 4 feet off the ground and racing out of old rusty Econoline vans. But... it's a classic and shows were we started and how we got here.

Sorry ... I ramble. Just saying, all that old stuff (Bullitt) is what helped sell Mustangs and a part of the reason it's never gone away.

Google this: famous car chase scene

Will a major corporation celebrate it with Special Editions? Doubtful.

The remake made the 67-68 Eleanor Mustang pretty popular.....even more so than the original '73 Mach 1 I'd say! Now there are special edition models, body kits and entire companies dedicated to a car that never even existed. As far as Bullit goes, truth be told other than the chase scene, the movie itself was :sleep:.....and when people pay homage to the movie, its based on the chase scene not necessarily the '68 Fast back McQueen was driving. It pretty much could have been any hot car of that era to be honest. I mean, it was hardly ever thought of by anyone other than die hard Mustang fans until Ford got creative with marketing for their New Edge Mustang by paying tribute to a 5-minute chase scene from a snoozer of a movie by rebadging a GT in 2001.

I mean, it was hardly ever thought of by anyone other than die hard Mustang Fans until Ford paid tribute to the "Movie" by rebadging a New Edge GT in 2001.

I guess that depends on how old you are :)

Now there are special edition models, body kits and entire companies
When Ford makes one, I'll be impressed. But yes .. I get your point. On the other hand If Knight Rider makes it, there will be 25 companies trying to sell you red sequencing lights and a double stack ricer wing for your Mustang too.

I guess that depends on how old you are :)
If you had to choose, do you think it was the car that made the scene famous, or the scene that made the car famous. Be honest now? ;)

.....IMO, that could have been any other hot car from one of the "Big Three" of the day and we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation right now.

I'm basically saying, it was a great scene, but a lot of people are attibuting more of it's popularity to the Cars in it, than the fact that it was a really impressive chase scene.

To be honest, put aside the fact that it showcased what are now considered "Classic Muscle Cars" and I couldn't say it was any better than the chase scene in "The French Connection", or even "Ronin" 30-years-later? :shrug:

Okay....

1) Agree, wouldn't have mattered what car or cars were in it. However, my point is (was) it made the popular Mustang, more popular.

2) I'm not really concerned about the chase scenes of 30 years later (although you can bet all the directors watched Bullitt)... also my point. They made the first GREAT chase scene, with less technology (as in NONE) and hell, the star of the movie drove in a lot of it.

It was all done before the huge budgets and computer "fakeness" (made up a word!) of the newer stuff. Everything about every movie is better now ... those were different times, what we expected was far less than today, in our cars, movies, hell, everything. BUT, there are a few things that stood the test of time, that chase scene and the Mustang are two of them. Getting your product front and center in movies is BIG business and was then too. It was a huge win for the Mustang.

The chase in Ronin was far better than both GI60s. I did like the chase in the newer GI60s a lot. In fact I pop in the Bluray now and then just to watch it. But Frankenheimer PwNS when it comes to car chases and Ronin was fricking HUGE.

Too bad he's dead and can't make anymore films.

the drawing is march 3rd, and winners will be notified within two weeks. you get 2 calls within 24 hrs. if you dont answer, you get DQ'd. i hope you entered your cell number for the contest. :p

my birthday is march 10th, so that would be a nice day to receive the call for the KR. :D

the drawing is march 3rd, and winners will be notified within two weeks. you get 2 calls within 24 hrs. if you dont answer, you get DQ'd. i hope you entered your cell number for the contest. :p

my birthday is march 10th, so that would be a nice day to receive the call for the KR. :D

If I win the KR, I'll sell it to you:D JK, that would be cool if you won it though. Probably be the best birthday gift you ever got:lol:

I think we should rename this thread to "If you win the KR, What would you do with it?"
I probably couldnt afford the gas and insurance but I would keep it for a short period then sell it and use the mula to pay off our current vehicles. Even tho it would be nice to keep it I really dont have the need for 500 horses on the city streets. :) It would be different if I was rich and had a 4 car garage to store it in. :D

I probably couldnt afford the gas and insurance
Those two would be the least of your worries... the tax would be a killer. The "winnings", ie; value of the car are considered regular income by the IRS. So.. let's say you are at a 20% rate and the KR is $50,000 .... prepare to pay $10,000 + SALES tax.

Still, you get a 50K car for $15K or so.

If you look at the estimated value listed in the rules...$79,000.00. PLUS you get to pay for transport to the nearest location and have 2 weeks to pick it up. No guarantee it would be transported to a nearby dealership in your area. Not that I wouldn't find some way of getting to it AND keeping it. Could sell my current car to cover most of the tax on it.........after I pay it off from sellling said current car.:shrug: