Labor Day down the crapper....

Sep 19, 2003
I will start with the cliffnotes: On my way home today, I threw a spark plug on my passenger side cylinder head. It is the last one towards the firewall. I thought I saw that there was a TSB for this, but I am not sure, and if not how in the hell do I fix it. Keep in mind I don't have the money for new heads. Someone please give me some feedback here!

• Sponsors (?)

Y2k MustangVert - I jut PM'd a response to you. I have a like new Timesert tool for sale. It's a perfect repair for this problem, DO NOT waste your money for a head replacement. This is not a cheap helicoil solution, this is a fully engineered system/tool kit which installs a fully threaded insert into the head. I did mine about 6 weeks ago and have put 1200 miles on since the repair with no issues.

timesert the head and see how that goes. I bet there will be a class action over this soon. The head does not have to be removed to do the timesert repair so run away fast from any shop that says they have to remove the head.

jcode68 said:
Y2k MustangVert - I jut PM'd a response to you. I have a like new Timesert tool for sale. It's a perfect repair for this problem, DO NOT waste your money for a head replacement. This is not a cheap helicoil solution, this is a fully engineered system/tool kit which installs a fully threaded insert into the head. I did mine about 6 weeks ago and have put 1200 miles on since the repair with no issues.

this guy is right. We now have the exact same setup thru rotunda that is the new service procedure for this problem. no longer do they want us to replace the head, unless they changed the procedure again :lol:

This is a pretty serious problem that I believe ford should have fixed a while back while they were still manufacturing the heads to put on the cars at the factory. I have 2 sparkplugs that were fixed with the timesert method and it has lasted a pretty good amount of time. Just make sure you use the plugs with the longer threads on them.

Note: I am not the one who had the plugs blown out on me the previous owner did and did not notify me about this when i bought the car.

This is one thing I would like to check on if I bought another mustang in the future but is there a way of telling if it happened besides removing the plug.

And yes I do now check my torque on my plugs about every month because they do get loose from time to time that above is excellent advise:nice:

MAKE SURE you have AGSF-32C or -32PM plugs installed. These are the redesigned plugs from Motorcraft and have a larger shoulder, preventing plug backout.

If you have the AWSF-32PM, get rid of them. Those are the ones that are causing the issue.

RochesterGT said:
MAKE SURE you have AGSF-32C or -32PM plugs installed. These are the redesigned plugs from Motorcraft and have a larger shoulder, preventing plug backout.

If you have the AWSF-32PM, get rid of them. Those are the ones that are causing the issue.

Ha i have to check this

RochesterGT said:

Those are stock replacement? Does anyone know the part # for the new improved plugs that are 1 or 2 heats ranges cooler?