larger than stock fuel pump yes or no?

wiggy's5.0

Jul 14, 2003
My pump is really noisy, I can hear it over the engine, so I think it's time for a new one. Is there any drawback to replacing the stock pump pushing about 95lph, with a bbk pushing either 110 or 155lph? Does this effect peformance? They make it sound like it's a stock replacement, so swaping it in shouldn't be too difficult. Any responses would be great, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

For an extra $10 you can get the 255lph pump. That gives you plenty of up room in the future! The swap is fairly easy, just make sure you have a friend or two helping with dropping the tank. Also, your fuel gauge sending unit should be due for replacement. Might as well spend a little extra and replace that while you have the tank down. Saves the work later on down the road.

I installed a BBK 255 about 3 months ago. I can't even hear it. My stock pump was as loud as my exhaust. As far as performance, I couldn't tell you. I installed heads ,intake, and a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

thompsonsd said:
For an extra $10 you can get the 255lph pump. That gives you plenty of up room in the future! The swap is fairly easy, just make sure you have a friend or two helping with dropping the tank. Also, your fuel gauge sending unit should be due for replacement. Might as well spend a little extra and replace that while you have the tank down. Saves the work later on down the road.

How difficult is it to replace the fuel gauge sending uint.

If you are not going to be increasing power, do not install a pump any larger than stock (88 lph).

If you are going to be increasing power (now or in the very near future), install only enough pump to accommodate the expected power level.

The stock pump is just enough to supply the engine from the factory, I put a 155 in mine and it runs great, as long as your regulator is working properly than you'll be fine. Speaking of which you should replace you regulator with an adjustable one, eventually. :nice: