LarsD's build thread

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by LarsD, Jul 21, 2011.

1. darthcual

darthcual Member

My car is also 10mph off as verified by a civic next to me with a digital speedometer. Wonder if I have the same problem?
  2. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Dunno yet. Gonna take it to a dyno here in the near future.

It will be pretty obvious if have one. 10mph is more then you can correct for with just the little gears.
  3. darthcual

darthcual Member

I forget which tranny your running but I have a 3550. I've never bothered to look at the cable as many times as I've been under her.
  4. Shaolin Crane

Shaolin Crane Banned

I meant at the track, what does it run?
  5. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Mine was pretty cracked up on the bottom. I'm running a TKO600 in it.

Dunno yet. Only had it together for a couple of weeks. Been working a lot. I want to get the torque boxes welded up, and replace the LCA's before I track it. That has been on hold cause I have been saving up money to pay off my Cobra.
  6. Shaolin Crane

Shaolin Crane Banned

Just do a couple light baseline runs. Wont hurt and it'll be nice to rag on it :D
  7. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Got more goodies.

[​IMG]

Need to get some torque box plates before I install them. MM had a deal of the day on them, so I scooped em' up.
    gearheadboy and VibrantRedGT like this.
  8. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Haven't updated in a while. The car died on me and had to be wrecker'd home in late December, which was the fourth time in two months it did it to me, though I was always able to get it home before. Then after letting it sit for a few weeks I bought a Rich Porter technologies distributor (that was new). Within the first five minutes of operation one of the bushings seized on the shaft and started grinding away at the housing showering the inside of my engine with aluminum shavings. After cleaning up the engine as best I could and changing the oil I started looking for a new "reliable" distributor. This in itself is quite an adventure. I ended up buying a distributor made by a company called "Performance Distributors". It's a pretty nice looking piece:

[​IMG]

Took some measurements, and it it looked like the oil pump drive under the gear is just a hair longer then the factory distributor. I went ahead and stabbed it and fired the car up. I set the timing to 10 degrees advanced like the old one was (spout out of course). Oddly though it was idling at 700ish rpm opposed to the 1K rpm that it ran at 10 degrees with the old distributor. I reset the throttle stop so it idles at 1K again (any lower and it normally tries to foul the plugs, though it didn't smell rich this time at 700rpm). The random roughness is still there, car starts easy and pulls hard like it always has. One other thing of note, when looking at the inside of the old distributor cap, the burn marks are very low on the electrodes (right at the tip), where as on the new one the arc marks are right in the center of the terminal. Not sure if that is better or not (I would think so), but it was something I noticed.

So as of right now this is where the car sits. Potentially fixed, but I haven't been able to get any seat time with the car to see if it is going to leave me stranded again. That is unless of course I want to try driving it to work in heavy traffic and construction. Hoping to get a little time off and spare cash so I can drive it to a tuner who is about 100 miles away. I figure if it can make the trip to there and back without dying on me, it's fixed. Plus he can tweak the tune for me and I can get some chassis dyno numbers.
  9. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Messing around with my camera today.

10. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums: