Launch advice needed

peonslayer

Dec 13, 2004
First time I went to the track it wasn't that busy so I got to run about eight times and finally squeaked out a 13.8 that night in stock form. Last night I only got three runs and not once did I have a decent launch. Now I have a JLT II intake and should be running better than 13.8 but never saw under 14.1. Seems like if I launch around 1k I bog and if I creep to around 2k when going full throttle I will spin all the way through 1st. Once it breaks traction I guess there isn't anything you can do.

It doesn't help that the track I am at sprays that damn water down every damn time a car pulls up even on street night. You can drive around the water trap but you are still getting runnoff water on your tires. With the traction issues I am getting 2.5 60' times. On the run I got 13.8 my 60' was 2.2. I still managed to trap 103.5 at 14.1.

It is pretty embarassing to run a 14.1-14.3 in a car that should be doing a 13.5 easy. I also find it hard to practice when it is so damn busy. Seems like the second you get the car lined up the lights are coming down. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I had my '00 GT at the track several times a few years back. I was on street tires and drove around the water box as well. I read that the proper way to do a burnout is to slowly roll through the water box, once you clear it by several feet you now start your burnout. That will ensure no extra water is put down on the way to the staging lanes. It could be quite possible that you are picking up "runoff water" if people are starting their burnouts IN the water box. That sends water up in and on your fenders to drip right back off. OR the track could have the water box to close to the staging lanes all together. Now as far as your launch...(I'M NO EXPERT). Are you slipping the clutch at all on your launch? If not, I would suggest it. With little traction available you need to help it as much as possible by working the clutch. Yes I know this is hard on it, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get that E.T. as low as possible. Yeah the run is pretty much toast if you start getting alot of wheel spin in first...go back and get in line to try again. My GT was 5 spd man with Flows and Eibach Pro Kit springs and the rest was bone stock(other than the tinted windows). My best run in the 1/8 mile was 2.142 60'...9.143/77.686. That was launching at around 1800 rpm with TCS off and lots of clutch slipping and still had some wheel spin. Hope some of this is a help to you and good luck in the future.

P.S. Rule of thumb on measuring mod gains is trap speed not E.T. This is because to many variables could effect E.T. Speed is alot more consistant run after run and if you see increase of speed then you know the power is there. Then it comes to fine tuning your driving ability. That along with decent weather and track conditions you should see your E.T. drop as well.

i went last night, only my 2nd time at the track with the GT. I launched at 3k but slipped the clutch to keep from spinning the tires. i never use the wet box, just a little burn out the clean the tires off. TC was off, and i dropped the PSI in my rears down to 25, that helped. Just keep working on it. I still need to work on my RT, its never been better then a .7 something. most important, just have fun!

yer probably dropping the clutch.

you need to slip it.

I've been practicing letting out clutch until right before it's about to engage (which is pretty far, by the way). then I hold it there until I'm ready to launch. when I'm ready to go, I squeeze down on throttle and let up on the clutch so that throttle is going down at same rate that clutch is letting out.

just practicing that, I've been able to get a feel for just the right power to just barely keep the tires from breaking loose. on street tires, that should maximize you short times and drop probly 1/2 second off 1/4 ET.

I launch anywhere from 1500-2000. I do end up breaking traction when I am closer to the 2000 mark and I just barely chirp when I'm close to the 1500 mark. The best 60' I've been able to pull with stock tires is a 2.0. I ran a 13.27 @ 107 w/ a 2.1 60' time. But I do have FRPP Shorty Headers, Brenspeed O/R Hpipe, CAI, Predator tune...

I would suggest just doing a quick burnout (no water), turn TCS off and try slipping the clutch or try to launch around 1500.