Launch Help

MiamiFan1354

Mar 2, 2004
Ok, so I raced this older turbo tansam today, and I'm pretty sure I was faster, but he beat me off the line everytime. He had bigger tires than I did, but all I kept doing was spinning.. I was releasing at around 35-4000, but I was just spinnin and slidin all over....

Would it be best to just put Drag radials on my stock rims, or should I go bigger? Also, how much would a hard launch kit help.. I didn't have any wheel hop, just a lot of fishtailin spin....

• Sponsors (?)

MiamiFan1354 said:
I was releasing at around 35-4000, but I was just spinnin and slidin all over....

Would it be best to just put Drag radials on my stock rims, or should I go bigger? Also, how much would a hard launch kit help.. I didn't have any wheel hop, just a lot of fishtailin spin....

You can't launch on the stock F1's at 3500-4000 RPM's! You'll never get them to hook!!! Try this....

1. Go around the waterbox.
2. Do a short, quick spin of the tires just to clean them off.
3. Stage.
4. Leave the line like you'd leave from a regular stop light (at idle) and progressively feed it more and more power while slipping the clutch.

Your motor is making almost peak torque at 3500-4000 RPM's, so how the heck do you expect your stock F1's to hold all that power from damn near a dead stop!? LOL!

Go ahead and get you some DR's if you want, they'll be better than the F1's for the strip. You can run Nitto 315's on your stock rims with no problems. Keep in mind they won't last very long and aren't the best tire in wet weather.

I wouldn't worry about a hard launch kit either if you're not having any wheel hop.

U.M.

yeah

Yup I too launched from idle with stock tires.. then i went Nitto DRs and launched around 3000...then I went to BFG DRs and I launch from 4000 but I still feather the clutch.....you still cant just pop the clutch...you will still sit and spin or hop the rear all over the place...

I have been happy with average 1.75 60ft times launching that way. I could probably do better, but I havent been hopping at all and my car has been holding up great and running consistant.

Another important point to make is that Drag Radials definetely hook better after they have been worn down. in fact I think they do better the more they get worn down. Just keep an eye out for the radials coming through before you have a blow out!

Also Drag radials when they are cold or the street is cold dont hook on the street...they are worse than stock tires in that situation