Launch with TractionControl on or off?

FallenPhoenix said:
The traction control in the '03-'04 Cobra is supposed to allow the wheels to spin in a straight line, but if one starts to spin faster than the other it will cut power to keep the car from spinning out.

TC is suppose to work that way on all late model Mustangs, at least according to Team Mustang as reported in the MCA's Mustang Times. They claimed that if the TC senses steering wheel position as being straight, and if starting from a dead stop, the TC allow full power to the rear wheels no matter what. In other words, the TC will temporarily inhibit itself under those conditions, in order to allow the Mustang to show off its full launching capabilities on clean, dry pavement.

• Sponsors (?)

jas142 said:
Have you ever floored it on a road that was slightly wet or not the best traction with tc on and seen the green light go on on your dash?

Is there really much difference with the TC off? With the TC off, yea, your tach will head to redline, and your rear wheels will spin like crazy, but you still don't go anywhere. You can't. The rear wheels have no traction to "bite" the pavement.

Having the TC on or off, doesn't change the amount of traction for the rear wheels. Having the TC on, just limits the power to the rear wheels to the maximum the current traction allows.

JCKnife said:
I'm embarrassed for Stangnet that this question has generated a two-page thread.

The answer is OFF. There is no debate.

Agreed 100% - This is freakin ridiculous. Some of these guys shouldn't really call themselves enthusiasts. Come on people, every once in a while drive the thing like ya hate it!!! (with the TC OFF!!!)

OFF!

As said before, the TCS only retards timing...no brakes involved! I know it sure feels like brakes when 302 ft/lbs of torque falls to about 20. Imagine going WOT to 5K or so and then jumping off the gas without shifting...tell me that wont throw you forward a bit.

“Let's say you're at a stoplight on wet pavement. The light turns green and you press too firmly on the accelerator pedal. There is slick asphalt under your tires and the wheels begin to spin. The traction control system instantaneously kicks in, sensing that the wheels have begun to slip. Within a fraction of a second, this data is fed back to the control unit, which adjusts throttle input and applies braking force to slow the wheels (some older systems also retarded engine spark). The wheels are thus prevented from spinning and the car maintains maximum traction.

It's really that simple. Again, think of it as ABS in reverse.

Traction control is available on a wide selection of vehicles, including some economy cars like the Chevy Cavalier, Saturn S Series and the Ford Focus. Virtually all the major makers, including DaimlerChrysler, BMW, Ford, GM, Saab, Volvo, Lexus, Infiniti, Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche, offer traction control on one or more models”.

I can’t believe this thread either but there it is, a quote in black & white from one of several sites and all I did was a general search for Traction Control. Try it and you too will find many sites saying the same thing as the quote above almost word for word, many of them specific to Mustang GT and Cobra.

Simply put brakes are indeed a part of traction control. Therefore, why would you want it ON rain soaked roads, ice covered roads (Yes) launching for maximum dig off the line (No).

-Cale

to remove the switch, to replace the light

jas142

i know what you mean your switch is square, where as the previous years were more rectangles. You need to get behind the switch i think there will be some clips u can press in to take it out. only take it out though if u need to replace the light and I havn't taken apart the square style buttons not sure if its the same as my rectangular button. i took out the plastic piece aroudn the shifter to get to it. all mine did was pop out. just try to take out what u need to get beinhd it unclip the wiring harness and then the button has some tabs or something. good luck

281ponies: The question was "Launch" and no one should be "launching" on wet or icy roads. A lot of people would say no one should be launching from a stoplight. The question was not "driving" with TC on or off, but "launching." Big difference.

Also Ford's TC sucks. :notnice:

JCKnife said:
281ponies: The question was "Launch" and no one should be "launching" on wet or icy roads. A lot of people would say no one should be launching from a stoplight. The question was not "driving" with TC on or off, but "launching." Big difference.

the original question didn't even mention wet or icy conditions, that was picked up along the way.

JCKnife said:

JCKnife: I can't agree with you more, the original question was "Launch" and no where did I recommend anyone should be launching at a stop light or on wet/icy roads. My last post was intended for those insisting TC has nothing to do with brakes being applied while TC is on. That was the big difference.
Like I said earlier, I'm not looking to get into any arguments here and I wont. It was a nice effort however.

-Cale

Damn, I thought this thread was a sarcastic joke but it turns out you guys are seriously arguing this point.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that traction control is better left off for launching. Just go out and drive your cars for once. You will see.

Well guys...I went to the track over the weekend. First launch TC OFF and I run 13.7 at 101 with a 60' of 1.9. Second launch TC ON and I run 10.7 at 99. with a 60' of 1.0. Its amazing, I rocketed off the line so fast I ran a 10 and STILL didnt even trap over 100. TC is absolutely amazing, I suggest everyone go try this! :bang: