Leak under back of car..??

Nick02GT

Apr 29, 2003
been 2 days i noticed when i park the car in the garage at night the next morning i see 5-10 drops of oil under the rear Diff(under the pumpkin as some call it)

My car is an 01 GT with around 50k miles. My mechanic did a gear install(3.73)about 6 months ago and havent had a problem with it since. There is no noise or anything different when driving the car. Its just that damn diff leaking a lil bit of oil.

You guys think its just a matter of opening it up changing the seal and re-sealing it with new oil? If it drives normal and no noise i dont think theres something broken in there? I dont beat on it but i drive it hard(the occasional burnout).

What can cause a rear diff to leak? should he take a look at it ASAP or can i drive it still for a couple of days?

thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Its no biggie

Its fine. You can replace the seal(if you're sure its not coming from the front-pinion yolk seal) and it will be fine. Just don't let the fluid get too low in that rear. Burned up bearings are no fun.

I looked at it again this morning and it seems to run down the front side of the rear diff(looking from the back- just behind the pumpkin)

Is there another seal there at the front? you mention the front-pinion yolk seal..

Nick02GT said:
I looked at it again this morning and it seems to run down the front side of the rear diff(looking from the back- just behind the pumpkin)

Is there another seal there at the front? you mention the front-pinion yolk seal..
There is a seal in front, called the front pinion yolk seal. It just needs replacing.